Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite Laptop Black Screen after Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 brentalous

brentalous

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

I have my friend's Toshiba Satellite Laptop that automatically decided to update to Windows 10 one day, and ever since the screen hasn't displayed anything. Not an initial Toshiba logo upon boot, Windows screen, nothing. Everything sounds like it's functioning properly inside, CPU fan, disk drive — But not getting anything to display on the screen.

After doing some research on similar issues, here are things I've tried, but not had any luck:

• Removed battery / Held power button for 30 seconds / Rebooted
  • Plugged in an external monitor via VGA and HDMI cable
  • Removed HDD tested it. Replaced HDD with totally different HDD
  • Used bootable Windows CD and bootable USB drive
  • Left running for hours to see if I could get a cursor to show up

Of course, as with fixing any PC, you only know the facts of what are right in front of you. Even though he claims it was happened after a Windows 10 update - I can't say for sure if this happened because of something totally different. Anyhow, just curious if there are some other options I could try or should I consider replacing the motherboard?

Thanks!

Edited by brentalous, 27 May 2016 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made.  This is just one of many examples of why you can't afford not to.  I take it you haven't tried booting from a live disc.  If that's the case, I'd download Linux Mint to a DVD, boot from it and see if that works.  If you still get the black screen, you'll know there's a hardware problem, if not it's software.  You can download it from here: https://linuxmint.com/download.php .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

If this happened to me, I'd restore from a recent full system backup I've made.  This is just one of many examples of why you can't afford not to.  I take it you haven't tried booting from a live disc.  If that's the case, I'd download Linux Mint to a DVD, boot from it and see if that works.  If you still get the black screen, you'll know there's a hardware problem, if not it's software.  You can download it from here: https://linuxmint.com/download.php .

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave that a whirl and still no luck upon boot :(

#4 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

Do you ever have anything on the screen? Can you see or get into the BIOS?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Try taking out the laptop battery and unplugging the power lead.

Press and hold the power button in for 20 seconds or so.

Plug the power lead back in and turn on machine.

If all is well then put the battery back in.

#6 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

Do you ever have anything on the screen? Can you see or get into the BIOS?

Nothing at all comes up on the screen. Black 100% of the time.

#7 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

Try taking out the laptop battery and unplugging the power lead.

Press and hold the power button in for 20 seconds or so.

Plug the power lead back in and turn on machine.

If all is well then put the battery back in.

Sorry I went back and added that to my original post, should have mentioned it. But, yes, that was the first thing I did - no success.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

Have you tried an external monitor (most Toshiba's have a VGA port on the side).

If it shows video, then that'll tell you that it's the video card in the Toshiba.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

Have you tried an external monitor (most Toshiba's have a VGA port on the side).

If it shows video, then that'll tell you that it's the video card in the Toshiba.

Yes I've tried plugging in an external monitor with no luck.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:48 PM

It's rare to fix a black screen problem.  I did fix one today - the first one in a couple of years!

We can work on this for weeks or more - and still not fix things.

At work we try System Restore.  If that doesn't work, then we suggest doing a backup, then wiping and reinstalling Windows.

If you'd like to try fixing it, here's my suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your OS from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

You can submit these 2 sets of reports if you'd like to have me make some other suggestions:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by usasma, 29 May 2016 - 05:48 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:20 PM

On startup, computers perform a Power-on Self Test, commonly referred to as a POST. If problems are found while booting, you can usually diagnose them using the error codes displayed on the screen. However, if nothing displays on the screen, the computer might use sounds (i.e., beep codes) to tell you what is wrong. Many of these errors indicate hardware problems that a service technician should fix. However, some errors are easily fixed. For example, keyboard controller errors often mean that your keyboard isn't plugged in.

Posted Image

#12 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

On startup, computers perform a Power-on Self Test, commonly referred to as a POST. If problems are found while booting, you can usually diagnose them using the error codes displayed on the screen. However, if nothing displays on the screen, the computer might use sounds (i.e., beep codes) to tell you what is wrong. Many of these errors indicate hardware problems that a service technician should fix. However, some errors are easily fixed. For example, keyboard controller errors often mean that your keyboard isn't plugged in.

Yeah, no beeps or anything either. Only things that light up are the power, wifi and battery lights on the front edge of the laptop.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,856 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

Simple but maybe checking connections to graphics. 

Edited by pcpunk, 30 May 2016 - 02:35 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 brentalous

brentalous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

So just an update after going through some more steps with this thing. 

I've replaced the motherboard and CPU and still no luck getting anything to go to the display. I can't even get the CPU fan to spin when I turn it on. (I have tested the fan externally and it works perfectly) Is there any other hardware I should consider swapping to get this thing to work? I'm lost at this point.

Edited by brentalous, 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Have you try powering on laptop with just battery plugin and just AC adapter plugin?

What happens when you try to boot laptop with Windows Setup DVD?

Take out the HDD and start the laptop see issue resolves.

Have you try to boot laptop into BIOS setup utility even if can't see anything if you know the key to press to boot laptop with BIOS setup utility try it see laptop boots to BİOS setup utility.

May i ask what do you mean by replacing Motherboard and CPU do you mean you have replace the motherboard and CPU with brand new once.

Laptops have a function key to activate an external monitor attach external monitor and use the function key to activate an external monitor.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users