Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my Taskbar on New Win 10 PC not responding!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

**Let me start by saying I'm sorry to hear about the law suit. I donated to your cause just now. Its the 1st time I've done anything like that before. I would give more but I don't have much in Paypal. You guys have been great to me over the years so I'd like to help if I can.. Give 'em HELL!!!

I have been experiencing a strange reoccurring problem with my new 3 month old ASUS ROG Laptop (Intel quad core, Win 10 x64, Nvidia 960. 8GB Ram)  The taskbar appears like normal (sometimes only a few icons appear) but I can not open anything! I click on the Start button, Volume, Wifi network, Battery meter & Clock & nothing happens. I can see the cursor select the button & I double click & nothing happens. I tried it with the mouse pad & still nothing. I can click on the program/app icons like Skpe, Outlook, Firefox & calculator & they work fine. I can also right click on a blank/black area of the taskbar to open the options there. I've gone to task manager & tried to restart windows explorer but it just hung up for 10 mins & I had to reboot. (I used to do that with Win7 sometimes when desktop screen would become unresponsive). I originally thought it had something to do with me switching the display a lot between the built in display, my desktop monitor & my projection TV which I do almost daily. But yesterday it was only on my monitor all day. Last night I turn the laptop off completely. This morning I rebooted & all seemed fine except now I have that non-responsive taskbar again. I wanted to post this to you for help before I re-boot which tends to fix it. I've run Avast 2X & Malwarebytes 2X to make sure its not a bug. They found nothing. This Laptop is only a few months old & its supposed to be top of the line for gaming PC's so this problem is a bit unsettling. I appreciate your help on this!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Scan and repair any damage Windows system files by opening Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc  /Scannow  command and press Enter key. Post back here the finish output result of the Sfc command. You should also repair C: partition file system by typing Chkdsk C: /r   command and press Enter key to schedule a next reboot error scan. Are you using any third part custom theme if you are uninstall it and run  Sfc  /Scannow  command to repair any damage Windows system files.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 themaninthejar

themaninthejar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:52 PM

for what it's worth I had that problem last week-unresponsive task/search Couldn't access anything. so I ran a system restore,and that did the trick-back to normal.

this is the first problem I had with W-10-which I've been running from the first day offered..go figure  :huh:

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

If I do "System Restore" will it delete or change the settings on non Win !0 OS programs I've installed? I run several work related programs like QuickBooks, Outlook email, Kayako chat system, Skype plus a VPN (I think its called) that remotely connects my PC to the company server in Ohio. I don't want to do anything to screws up something important.

Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

If you create a new user account do you still have the Taskbar problem?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

If I do "System Restore" will it delete or change the settings on non Win !0 OS programs I've installed? I run several work related programs like QuickBooks, Outlook email, Kayako chat system, Skype plus a VPN (I think its called) that remotely connects my PC to the company server in Ohio. I don't want to do anything to screws up something important.

Thanks!

Restoring Windows to a date with System Restore tool will delete all changes and installed programs that are changed or installed after the restore point creation date. With Windows 10 System Restore tool you have a option to view which programs will be affected by restoring Windows to a any restore point the Scan for affected programs button at System Restore tool will list all changes that will take affect. You can open System Restore tool from "Control Panel --> Recovery".

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 themaninthejar

themaninthejar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Yes, I took that route-the only program that eluded that protection interesting enough was the Beta Malwarebytes anti-ransomware tool, but deleting from the system and downloading again seems to have fixed that- honestly, anything else I haven,t come across , yet... I should add that the previous version wouldnt work or open,but remained on the system

Edited by themaninthejar, 30 May 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#8 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:39 PM

Hi freebooter.
I did the scf/ scannow it ran quickly & found no errors. So I did the Chkdsk C: /r & rebooted. Its been running for 3hrs & is still at 10%. How long should the process take? I have 1TB hdd 850mb free space 8 GB ram Intel 4 quad core laptop. I'm concerned it won't be ready by tomorrow for work.
Thanks!

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:13 AM

Hi yorocco7,

ChkDks tool finnish repair time depending on how big your hard drive is and how much data store on the hard drive. On very big drives (such as Terabyte drives) the check can take one hours to several days or several hours its more depending on how many issues it finds and needs to correct. The time checkdisk (chkdsk) takes is directly related to the speed of your computer and hard drive as well as the condition of the hard drive and size of the data store on the hard drive. If there are a lot of disk issues then checkdisk will take a long time.
If you interrupt it, you’re just preventing it from doing it’s job it can cause issues as well like file system or data corruption. So when you start your computer again, Check Disk will start again because it wants to finish its job. I could not tell you how long it will take so is no one else.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 June 2016 - 12:15 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:27 AM

It actually finished shortly after I posted my last comment. So for me it took pretty close to exactly 3 hrs. The part that was troubling is it never moved from saying 10%. Even when is finished it never said 100% or show a growing completion percentage so at 3hrs & only 10 % done I was getting concerns. I rebooted 2 times just to make sure it would boot safely. Unfortunately the underlying problem still exists. After the 2nd reboot I had not lunched any programs like a browser or open a word or excel or email & the task bar stopped working again. You can move the cursor over the icons & the start menu. You can Right click & do those options but not the Left click that would start the program. I had to reboot again to getting it working. Any theories as to what could be the problem?

Thanks!

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:34 AM

Because you said Chkdsk has not fully completed you should test hard disk drive with HDD Diagnostic Tool that is created by manufacturer of brand of hard disk drive your computer have visit below website to follow instructions on how to check health and repair surface errors of hard disk drive with HDD diagnostic tool. After completing repairing surface errors of the hard disk drive if issue not resolved you can repair install Windows 10 this process will not delete your personal files, settings you configured and will not uninstall third party programs you have installed.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users