Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i cant start my old laptop ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hulpnodig

hulpnodig

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

hi guys

i am having problem with starting my old laptop... :(

i am a total n00b with BOOT

i hope some one can help me out

i guess the Hard drive couldnt be found, buy why? :(

Thank you..

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Sounds like the hard drive may have failed.  

If the hard drive is not listed in the bios you need to try removing it and then re-inserting it into the drive bay to make sure it is making good contact.  

Then try booting again.

Also list the Laptop Model etc for others to assist further.

If it still fails then stop trying to boot it , if you have any Data you wish to retrieve from it.

We can direct further if Data needs to be retrieved , but if the drive is dead then its dead.

Edited by Havachat, 27 May 2016 - 08:41 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hi

I concur with Havachat, it does indeed appear that the hard drive has died. There is a slim chance that the drive has lost its connection to the motherboard. Post the Model of Your Toshiba. I have worked on some of them in the past and am still using as older Dual core that came with XP pro as an optional OS option due to being a business model.

Hopefully You have a set of Toshiba Restore Disks just in case, if not Toshiba has been good about having the Factory drivers and software available via their website. As an example I was able to upgrade mine to Windows 7 as they had newer drivers for it.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 May 2016 - 10:29 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:02 AM

hi guys 

thanks

i really hope my hdd isnt dead

i had a lot of info in it.. :(

how can i know??

Attached Files

#5 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

can i put the hdd somewere else to see if it works??

#6 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

... :(

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

You can attach it as a s3econdary drive to any other system, if you like.  The simplest test would be to see if the files on the drive can be read and accessed.

A more definitive test would be to run a hard drive diagnostic...because, even if the drive is failing, it may appear to be functional from time to time.

GSmart Hard Drive Test - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565216/laptop-running-slow-tried-many-things-and-unreadable-files/?p=3613590

Louis

#8 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

You can attach it as a s3econdary drive to any other system, if you like.  The simplest test would be to see if the files on the drive can be read and accessed.

A more definitive test would be to run a hard drive diagnostic...because, even if the drive is failing, it may appear to be functional from time to time.

GSmart Hard Drive Test - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565216/laptop-running-slow-tried-many-things-and-unreadable-files/?p=3613590

Louis

hi thanks

i cant go in to my laptop to download anything..

#9 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like the hard drive may have failed.  

If the hard drive is not listed in the bios you need to try removing it and then re-inserting it into the drive bay to make sure it is making good contact.  

Then try booting again.

Also list the Laptop Model etc for others to assist further.

If it still fails then stop trying to boot it , if you have any Data you wish to retrieve from it.

We can direct further if Data needs to be retrieved , but if the drive is dead then its dead.

:(  whyyyyyy do they die

i dont know how to put a harddrive out and in again..

if the laptop still doesnt find the harddrive then its dead? and i can not get any data back..?

is the harddrive the only drive were data is saved on the laptop?

Hi

I concur with Havachat, it does indeed appear that the hard drive has died. There is a slim chance that the drive has lost its connection to the motherboard. Post the Model of Your Toshiba. I have worked on some of them in the past and am still using as older Dual core that came with XP pro as an optional OS option due to being a business model.

Hopefully You have a set of Toshiba Restore Disks just in case, if not Toshiba has been good about having the Factory drivers and software available via their website. As an example I was able to upgrade mine to Windows 7 as they had newer drivers for it.

Good Luck

Roger

i just uploaded the model.

thank you..

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

For those of you, like me, wondering about the model it is in fact in #4 !

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S351.

Removing the hard drive from a laptop is not normally difficult, you do need small screwdrivers - crosshead and plain. I did find one video which shows the procedure on this model of Satellite, it's not a great video in that the author doesn't say what he is doing, or why, but it does show how you dismantle an M45 -

Before you start. Disconnect the charger lead and remove the battery. To connect it to another computer the simplest way is to use a USB caddy. these are not very expensive and are widely available, purely as an example, Amazon carry several. Once you have the drive out and in the caddy you can connect it as an external drive by USB to any other computer and see if your files are still visible. If they are you should be able to copy them to different storage.

Why do hard drives die ?  Everything dies, nothing is immortal. With the exception of solid state drives - which have their own forms of failure - all hard drives consist of fast moving or spinning components as well as electronics, they wear out, and, unhappily, any quoted failure rates apply to the average, not to any one particular drive.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Hi Again
The where part where he removes the plastic cover in the lower left corner as the laptop is oriented in that video and slides that metal assembly to the left is how the Hard Drive is removed. It is not necessary to remove the drive from the metal enclosure for testing. That drive is a SATA drive and will hook up to any desktop that has SATA drive connections. The Smaller connector is the Data connector and the larger one is the Power connector. I would remove the battery and power first. If You do not have access to a desktop computer You can use another laptop and a USB adapter such as this one. Note: I have not tried this one and it is only shown as an example. If You have a Computer store locally they should also have one.

I have used this one, a
StarTech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable. However it is more expensive as it is USB3 not USB2 like the cheaper one and only works with mobile drives and SSD drives as it has no power supply. Once it is hooked up to a working computer then You can run Diagnostic software.

In answer to Your Question any Hard Drive is both a mechanical and electronic device. The Drive has a motor that spins the data platter(s) and a head that moves back and forth to read that data. Thus either the mechanical or the electronics can go bad. Hard Drives are also susceptible to damage from Vibration or impact. SSD drives being All Solid State are much hardier and expensive. When You remove the drive be careful not to bang or jar it and avoid electric shocks to it. The Data can surely be recovered, the question is what is wrong. If the drive is dead than it could go to a Data recovery company which means that the data on it needs to be important. Here is an example of a brand Name Data recovery company, No recommendation, listed for informative purposes only to give an example of pricing. 

The data recovery world leader, https://www.krollontrack.com/services/data-recovery/, offering convenient and cost- effective solutions for recovering lost data.

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. I would put a towel down to protect the laptop finish.

Edited by rotor123, 29 May 2016 - 10:41 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

For those of you, like me, wondering about the model it is in fact in #4 !

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S351.

Removing the hard drive from a laptop is not normally difficult, you do need small screwdrivers - crosshead and plain. I did find one video which shows the procedure on this model of Satellite, it's not a great video in that the author doesn't say what he is doing, or why, but it does show how you dismantle an M45 -

Before you start. Disconnect the charger lead and remove the battery. To connect it to another computer the simplest way is to use a USB caddy. these are not very expensive and are widely available, purely as an example, Amazon carry several. Once you have the drive out and in the caddy you can connect it as an external drive by USB to any other computer and see if your files are still visible. If they are you should be able to copy them to different storage.

Why do hard drives die ?  Everything dies, nothing is immortal. With the exception of solid state drives - which have their own forms of failure - all hard drives consist of fast moving or spinning components as well as electronics, they wear out, and, unhappily, any quoted failure rates apply to the average, not to any one particular drive.

Chris Cosgrove

Hi Chris
So true. With a SSD bad Firmware and the flash memory wearing out are some of the cuplrits. For example there was one brand that had lots of bad firmware killing their SSDs, Intel had a Bad firmware in the model of SSD I bought that could kill the drive too. Seagate had some models of Hard Drives that the firmware could brick too. They all can have problems.

Having said that I have used Intel, Samsung, and a couple of other brands of SSD and never had a failure yet. Just that the oldest ones became obsolete due to drive size. I can not recall when I had a hard drive die on me. OTOH I did work where I did data recovery for many people before I retired when SS Sandy struck NJ.

Have a Great Holiday
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 hulpnodig

hulpnodig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

ok, i am going to try this, and i will let you guys know..

ill make pictures and upload

thank so much

hopefully its just the connection.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users