Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU temp reading 15-20 degrees lower than core temps, is it normal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Harbinger112

Harbinger112

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

As the topic says my overall CPU temp is much lower than what the cores are, i'm wondering is this normal or something that i should worry about.

Temps
Overnight Idle Temps - This is when they actually match, they're both around 23-26
Light Use (Browsing Web/Watching A Movie/Texted Based Game) - CPU - Around 29-33ish Cores - 30-50ish
Moderate Gaming (Older Games) - CPU 34-40 Cores - 56-70ish
Heavy Gaming (Newer/CPU Heavy games like Attila/Rome II Total War) - CPU - 40-46 Cores - 60-84
Load Temps (Stress Testing) - CPU - 56-60 (rarely ever goes much higher) Cores - 90 -105

In the pic i'm running speedfan, realtemp and HW Monitor with the CPU load 43%  

2ceUX.jpg

Any help is much appreciated clear.png

Edited by Harbinger112, 26 May 2016 - 11:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

A single core having a higher temp than the entire package is quite common - most apps only stress one core. What are you running for stress tests?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Harbinger112

Harbinger112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

PassMark Performance Test 8.0 and Realtemp with Prime 95 (heat test). Also its not a single core all cores are usually above the CPU temp.

Edited by Harbinger112, 26 May 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

In that screenshot at least everything looks normal... I don't see the variance you are talking about.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

The cores are where the heat is generated and it is removed through the case by the heatsink and fan. The cores have to be hotter than the case of the CPU for this to work. Many computers do not have sensors for both case and core temperature readings so most users are unaware of this. This difference you have discovered is not a problem and the temperatures sound well within usual limits, but if you are still concerned google for the manufacturer's specs on your CPU. Look for something like 'thermal limits' in the data sheets.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users