Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What did the PSU take with it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CTripodi

CTripodi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:26 PM

Yesterday I turn on my desktop computer that I built 3 years ago and heard a pop and smelt a burnt odor. Tried to turn off the computer, but had to shut it off at the PSU. Turned it on again and noticed that the lights were on, but no fans. Monitor was on, yet no boot up. Immediately thought PSU and ordered one. Got it today, Amazon Prime is awesome. Installed it, the fans all run except for graphics card which is a nVidia EVGA 970 SC. So I got an old 660Ti and installed it. The fan runs, but no boot up or graphics. So I moved the card and tried all psie×16 slots on my Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2 board, no boot up or graphics. I checked to see if everything on my new PSU was connected correctly, which is a EVGA supernova 750 G2. Can a PSU wipe out the graphics card, mobo or the CPU or all? Nothing comes up on my monitor except it turns to 4 different colors when the computer is off. What else could of been burnt? I have also looked for any burnt or broken capacitors on the motherboard, but do not see any. I do not have any tools to check electric to anything on the motherboard. Any suggestions on what else needs to be replaced? Thanks for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

Can a PSU wipe out the graphics card, mobo or the CPU or all?

Yes, it's all powered from the PSU, so it can damage anything.

Standard diagnostic sequence is to remove everything but the CPU from the mainboard, and have either the onboard beeper provided or a small system speaker connected to the SPKR terminals, so you can hear POST beep codes, then follow a process of elimination with a complete power down between each stage of trying adding one component.

So in other words, remove/disconnect all peripheral cards, RAM, drives, and start up the system. If the Mainboard/CPU combination is operating, the BIOS should issue an insistent beep code complaining about the missing RAM. If this doesn't happen, suspect damaged mainboard, CPU or both (CPUs seldom fail). If the board beeps angrily something is working, you can check the manual to see if the code is for RAM not found. Then power down and one at a time add RAM, in which case the beepcode should change to indicate missing video card, if so add video card, see if POST shows... If yes, connect drives one at a time, see if one stops it from booting...etc

Edited by Platypus, 26 May 2016 - 10:50 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 CTripodi

CTripodi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Was late last night, will try removing everything but CPU. Having said that, I have not heard any beeps at all throughout this process. Needing a new board will be costly because my version of the upgraded Windows 10 was the OEM version of Windows 7. That means basically starting over and reinstalling everything and recovering all my data from the cloud service I use.

Update. Removed everything except CPU. I heard no beeps. Was waiting for a minute, but nothing. There is a beep speaker that came with this motherboard.

Edited by CTripodi, 27 May 2016 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users