Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adviced Needed: Upgrade All Or Just Some Parts Of My PC?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vanch

Vanch

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys, it's about time I thought about upgrading my PC as it's been hanging on by a thread for the past couple of years and now it seems like it's on it's last legs. My current specs are as follows:

Untitled.png

In your honest opinions does this whole rig need upgrading? The graphics card is 6 years old now I think haha. Should I just buy a whole new PC, or could I keep any of the parts from this one? What I'm looking for is a PC that can play all the latest & upcoming games on HIGH (don't need it to be ULTRA at all) without any lag.

I'm basically gonna have an £800/$1175 budget for the tower itself. I've already got a decent monitor & keyboard, mouse, speakers etc.

What line of graphics cards should I be looking at when upgrading, in order to stay future proof for the next few years at least, and should I go i7 instead of i5? I should say, I am an avid Nvidia and Intel kind of guy and know next to nothing about AMD at all, so I'd be looking to get an Nvidia card and an Intel CPU. Problem is, I just don't know where to start and how to spend the cash correctly :/

Would massively appreciate some help, thank you!

Edited by Vanch, 26 May 2016 - 09:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

The LGA1155 is pretty much dead. Infact all the LGA11xx is a dying breed. You would of been better off with a 1150 or 1151. So I wouldn't upgrade this system beyond maybe a better video card 960ti. The better gaming rigs are...

LGA 1150 i5-4690k, i7-4790k (Devils Canyon) 4 core cpu & z97 or better mobo. Fast DDR3, SSD, 960ti.

LGA 1151 Skylake 6600k & 6700k (Skylake) 4 core cpu & z170 mobo. Fast DDR4, SSD, 960ti.

LGA 2011-v3 i7-5820k, i7-5830k (Haswell-E) 6 core cpu & x99 mobo. Fast DDR4, SSD, 960ti.

IMO that is a the bottom line. It makes no sense to build any 11xx system. Why is that? With LGA2011 there are more pins on the cpu meaning more computations and data. Better motherboard architecture with Quad channel memory that means more data bus lanes to the cpu. Not to mention continued performance of DDR4 that the 1151 offers. The 1155 as it seems was and idea that got scrapped in favor of the 2011. The LGA 2011v3 is clearly the better investment. You can get a 6600k for around the same price as a i7 LGA 1150. The motherboard around $200 & ddr4 prices are dirt cheap and lower than DDR3. The most expensive of a new build would be the SSD and the video card with 512bit and 4-6g of memory. I recommend a SSD for any computer. That is such a performance increase beyond any physical platter drive could ever offer. Especially in a laptop that is mobile and getting tossed around a lot. No one wants loss of data and to hear that dreaded click of death.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:44 AM

Overclock your CPU and it is faster than any i5 without overclocking. Buy used i7-2600K/i7-3770K and overclock it is faster than any quad core i7 without overclocking. Then add much better video card and SSD, perhaps upgrade PSU. I see no reason for switching another socket unless you want at least 6 cores.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

Overclock your CPU and it is faster than any i5 without overclocking. Buy used i7-2600K/i7-3770K and overclock it is faster than any quad core i7 without overclocking. Then add much better video card and SSD, perhaps upgrade PSU. I see no reason for switching another socket unless you want at least 6 cores.

That is true. However, is it enough performance increase to really make a difference in gaming? Probably not. IMO I wouldn't sink another dime into this system and plan on building a new. A 3770k I7 still runs around 300 bones. I would wait out another year or two.

#5 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Awesome, that's a great help.

I'm gonna get a SSD, but what size will I need exactly?  I remember my friend used a SSD in the past to install Windows on and it made his PC run unbelievably slow for some reason.  In the end we just scrapped the SSD and reinstalled Windows on a normal HD.  The SSD he was using was around 100gb though I think... Could that have been why?

If I get a SSD, what size should I get?  I'm guessing it'd be used for my OS and my games, and then I'd just keep things like movies, music etc on a different HD.  I just don't wanna get a too small SSD and have it run like crap haha.

Also, I pretty much know what kind of CPU I want now and it'll require a Socket 1151 Motherboard.  When it comes to motherboards, it is probably the thing I'm least knowledgeable about.  Can you guys recommend any good 1151 motherboards which will do the job well.  I noticed some 1151 boards are around £40, and some are around £200.  I just want one that'll fit in an ATX case and do it's job without any problems.

Edited by Vanch, 27 May 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

For your system now and for gaming your best bet is to upgrade or SLI the video card. IF you build a new system don't sink your money into old technology. I would say get into 6 core systems 2011v3 The 1151 board does support DDR4, but why spend the money on a 1151 when a 2011v3 cost near the same?? Of course a SSD is a good investment for any system. The slowness comes from reading/writing from a platter HD to a SSD. The SSD is limited by the slower drive.

Upgrading memory has and always will be a quick boost in performance. I been playing a game that damn near eats up 6g's of my 8g's of system memory. Now days I recommend 16gigs of system memory especially a gaming rig or workhorse desktop that's used in development.

The argument people have is that a i5 will game just as good because games only take advantage of the single core and that clock for clock it's best bla bla bla. Higher the clock the better the gaming is. Yes, that is true. However, does the motherboard support a true 16x 16x pcie sli or xover? You gotta really shop for motherboards and read the fine print. If you want more gaming power you have to double and triple SLI. So if you overclock to 4ghz or more and you still get crappy frames then, A: the cpu is not powerful enough. B: The video card is not powerful enough. C: all the above.

It's hard to say what is the bottleneck. I have seen people spend the money on a DX12 video card to find out that the cpu is the problem too and then after that the entire system is the problem. Mainly due to the entire system needs a overhaul. Old outdated Motherboard chipsets and slow memory etc etc. Motherboards that say they can overclock, but in reality they are just a lemon. There is a huge difference between a 50 dollar motherboard and 300+ motherboard. Soon they start to realize that performance costs money and they're building a new system. There really is no easy answer to all this. You just have to throw more money at it till the problem goes away. I honestly would start with a secondary video card and sli them if the motherboard has that capability and try a slight overclock. If the computer is still chugging along then it's time to upgrade the entire rig. Then at least you know you can use that video card in your new system.

#7 Vanch

Vanch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:17 AM

At the moment on this PC I'm using a 1TB SATA HDD.  I was thinking of getting a 512gb SSD to put the OS and games on, then using my 1TB SATA to store movies, music etc.  Am I right in thinking the SATA HDD would slow the SSD down?  Unless I mistook you.  Would I get better performance from JUST using the SSD?  To be honest, I don't need that much space anyway.  Out of the 1TB I've got right now, I'm only using around 75gb and that's with a game installed as well, so I don't store a lot really.

Edited by Vanch, 28 May 2016 - 01:18 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:27 AM

SSD drive will not increase game FPS. It will speed up game load times and file transfers. Some games have horrid loading times. Have you ever played Half-Life 2? Every time you turn a corner another long loading screen. With a SSD that will be almost instant. Frame rate is cpu and gpu (graphics) Getting another video card and SLI them will increase the graphics processing power. Instead of one card handling the task you have two or three video cards splitting up the load.

Edited by technonymous, 28 May 2016 - 03:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users