Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats The Differance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mobileraptor

mobileraptor

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

What is the differance speed wise between the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB and Intel® Pentium® D 930 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB

I am looking at a new computor and these are 2 of the options, the higher end system comes with 2.13

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

When looking at CPU's never just look at the "Ghz" or frequnecy at which it runs at. For CPU's it only offers a tiny bit of infomation on how really fast it is. In your case there, the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB will blow the second one out of the water, and it'll offer more capability later on in the future if you want to upgrade. Another thind to look at when lookin around for CPU's or Video cards is to look up their benchmarks as they show how well they perform in most applications and games.

But I highly suggest the Core 2 Duo E6400.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

I realize your question was simply related to the CPU speeds, and it has been answered, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

There are many other factors that will determine the 'speed' of your computer. CPU speed and capabilities are only a part of the equation. Other components must be matched in order for your computer to work at it's most effecient. For instance which motherboard and ram and harddrive type and cache sizes all play a part. FSB speeds. Cache sizes. Settings in the OS. BIOS settings.

And when it comes to 'speed' what does that mean to you, as it can mean different things to different people. Do you want the computer to start up fast? To surf the internet fast? To be able to handle playing your games - and be ready to play new games when they come out? Open programs fast? Define what 'fast' is to you and then a system can be designed to do it.

Again, I realize this was not your question, but I thought I would add this comment mainly for the benefit of others who may read this thread.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 mobileraptor

mobileraptor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

I buy a new cumputer about 4 to 5 years, my old computer usually get willed down to my wife, I've been doing this since my first Tandy 1000A.

My wife cruses the internet and plays a lot on Pogo. I, on the other hand do like to play online games that are processor speed and vidio card hogs.

My last two computers were both Gateways, the latter being a 18 gig. I'm starting to have speed problems with it and the wifes is dying quick.

The computer I'm looking at is an Alienware Area-51 7500 with the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
plus one gig of memery to get started.

With all the 3 + numbers flying around 2.13 kind of made me leary till i starter loking at and trying to understand the specs

I do understand that that this is a duel core processor but is it equivelent to two 2.13 gig processors?

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

I buy a new cumputer about 4 to 5 years, my old computer usually get willed down to my wife, I've been doing this since my first Tandy 1000A.

My wife cruses the internet and plays a lot on Pogo. I, on the other hand do like to play online games that are processor speed and vidio card hogs.

My last two computers were both Gateways, the latter being a 18 gig. I'm starting to have speed problems with it and the wifes is dying quick.

The computer I'm looking at is an Alienware Area-51 7500 with the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz 2MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
plus one gig of memery to get started.

With all the 3 + numbers flying around 2.13 kind of made me leary till i starter loking at and trying to understand the specs

I do understand that that this is a duel core processor but is it equivelent to two 2.13 gig processors?

Don't just look at "Ghz" as they are not very effective at showing the processors true performance.

That processor you just metioned is a brand new processor, and is actually much faster then a "3Ghz Pentium 4". That Aleinware should do you well, but I find Alienware computers are a little overpriced for what they offer. But most Aleinwares should serve you jsut find for games as that seems to be their main market area.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 mobileraptor

mobileraptor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

Can you recommend a supplier that sells equal quality for a better price with good support?

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 01:59 AM

Uhmmm, Newegg and Tigerdirect have a pretty good reputation in supplying computer goods.

Uhmmm, Compaq have been good to me. Dell I guess are reputable and are one of the top selling computer companies, oh and Dell owns Alienware. Gateway and eMachines offer cheaper computers, but you get what you pay for, my friends Emachine is somehow still running after 3-4 years now. If you buy a Dell, buy one with a Core 2, since it's much better for the price then the old "Pentium 4" and will offer much better upgrade choices later down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users