Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I uninstall MintLinux and reinstall Win 7!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Thlorian

Thlorian

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

Tried the plunge to MintLinux and hate it. The install went "bad" as it went all Linux with GRUB only allowing me to go into MintLinux or Ubuntu (Windows is gone). I have an older restore set of 4 cds I created when I got this PC a few years ago (2012) and I also have a win7 upgrade cd. I have TIRED everything including changing the boot order in the bios to allow the pc to reboot into either of these cds and nothing works. It saves my change to boot into the cd player first but keeps rebooting into GRUB! This PC is an HP p7-1210 with two hds. How can I fix this so that I have windows running on this again please. I don't care about ANY lost information as this is not my primary computer. I would think I need the recovery cds to work because if I have to resort to the upgrade win7 cd, I do not have any cds of original full version of windows to upgrade from! Please help! Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

Are you sure the Windows 7 partition was wiped?

Download Partition Wizard Bootable. Burn the iso to a CD disk. On a Windows 7 computer you can right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Run the program. Do you see a partition formatted NTFS. If you do then your Windows 7 partition is still intact. Also look for a partition of about 12gb. This would be your factory restore partition. If possible post an image of the Partition Wizard Window.

If you factory restore partiton is intact then tapping F11 at boot will bring up the recovery manager and let you do a full factory reset. You may want to try this first.

#3 Thlorian

Thlorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Are you sure the Windows 7 partition was wiped?

Download Partition Wizard Bootable. Burn the iso to a CD disk. On a Windows 7 computer you can right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Run the program. Do you see a partition formatted NTFS. If you do then your Windows 7 partition is still intact. Also look for a partition of about 12gb. This would be your factory restore partition. If possible post an image of the Partition Wizard Window.

If you factory restore partiton is intact then tapping F11 at boot will bring up the recovery manager and let you do a full factory reset. You may want to try this first.

Thanks John  - Yes I am pretty sure.  When I hit F11 when rebooting it will only go into GRUB which is nothing but MintLinux or Ubuntu selections.  I tried F10 but that did not have any option for system recovery.

Edited by Thlorian, 26 May 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

Yes, select Recovery Manager.  Select System Recovery if you want a clean factory reset.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT3

#5 Thlorian

Thlorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Yes, select Recovery Manager.  Select System Recovery if you want a clean factory reset.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT3

Ok, but Recovery Manager does NOT come up when I hit F11.  Only GRUB comes up.  I have rebooted several times hitting F11 and it always goes into GRUB.  Are you saying hit f11 after grub loads linux (linux is my ONLY option under GRUB).

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

If that is the case then I believe Mint may have wiped the factory recovery partition. Boot Partition Wizard and post a screenshot. 

#7 Thlorian

Thlorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:37 PM

If that is the case then I believe Mint may have wiped the factory recovery partition. Boot Partition Wizard and post a screenshot. 

Ok it is a Linux only machine so I assume Partition Wizard will work on it -I'll be right back with a snapshot - thanks for helping me out!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

I thought it was dual boot. If you do not see any NTFS partitions with Partition Wizard on your OS disk then you can do a Wipe Zero fill quick.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/wipe-disk.html

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

I have a question, what was so bad for you under mint?

Just a question as for the the most part Mint is good for windows fans, sure it lacks a big blue E but it can get the job done if you took the time to learn it

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Thlorian

Thlorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

I thought it was dual boot. If you do not see any NTFS partitions with Partition Wizard on your OS disk then you can do a Wipe Zero fill quick.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/wipe-disk.html

John, the computer Gods were shining on me.  After I downloaded and burned the iso, I went upstairs to the trouble computer and it had somehow already FINALLY started the first screen of the recovery method.  I was able to completely recover and am a happy camper - thanks again for your help!!

#11 Thlorian

Thlorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

I have a question, what was so bad for you under mint?

Just a question as for the the most part Mint is good for windows fans, sure it lacks a big blue E but it can get the job done if you took the time to learn it

It's me!  I do not have the time or patience to learn Linux.  One day down the road maybe . . . just not now!   B)

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

Understood, though maybe using a virtual machine would have been a better idea to test drive it.

Learning at your own pace and all without touching windows

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users