Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:34 PM

Bought this card new about 6 years ago. According to everything I could find out about it, it was considered top shelf.Installed it in a cheap system running Windows 7 and bought a set of Logitech 5.1 speakers, don't remember the model number, and wow! That card blew me away. Between the absolutely clean and realistic sound the card produced and the quality of the Logitech speakers it was killer. Surround sound for movies was dead on and extremely engrossing. After my divorce, yea and I bet there are a few other guys that can say this, I did get to keep the computer. Times change though and when I eventually landed I had a Gateway 66** Desktop running Windows 10 just fine. But the Auzentech is giving me troubles. There are 3 modes the board will operate in and I always choose the entertainment mode. There are several speaker selections and I always choose 5.1. It's good for music or surround sound video. If I have to restart my system the board selects Game mode and 2.1 speakers. I try and reset it to my favorite controls and sometimes it works and sometimes it crashes. I am adjusting these settings from the control panel that is supposed to load at start up but does not. If I go thru all the selections it crashes and I get the close program window. If I get past that without a crash I select console, which is also supposed to load but doesn't. I have to readjust the bass and treble every time as they are reset at the neutral point. Once I get everything set it's like the good old days. But if I have to restart for any reason, I have to go through all that set up again. Got the latest drivers available. Am I beating a dead horse? It really WAS a great sound board.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

What is the version of this Ausentech x-fi prelude?  Example: Ausentech x-fi prelude 7.1

It looks like there are drivers out there for Windows 10.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

Yes, it is an Auzentech x-fi prelude 7.1. Thank you and will search for the Windows 10 drivers.

#4 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

Downloaded the so said Windows 10 drivers. Got the same results but this time it took about 3 times of installing and rebooting before they were functional. Still have to go in and manually change the mode, the speaker surround selection and tone comtrols every time I restart. Heard something about an R64 Beta for Windows 7 that might have cured it for that OS but Windows 10, to me, still has its' problems.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

There may be an on-board option for sound and it my be causing the faults.   My Lenovo has it's own audio, separate from the OS options and loads those on boot up and not the OS.

#6 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

I searched and found the latest drivers by date even though they were the same as the other drivers I had downloaded. Shut down and unplugged computer and pulled the sound card out of its' slot. Restarted the computer and deleted anything that had to do with the Auzentech Card and drivers. Restarted the computer. Let it boot up everything and then shut it down. Restarted computer and loaded the Auzentech drivers. Shut down the computer and reinserted the sound card. Restarted computer and it loaded the drivers for the found sound card. Still have to choose Trouble Shoot windows problems. I got this next move off the net. Cancel any enhancements and continue to load. Have Trouble Shooter do its' thing. Disable and do not load Realtek software, skip the reboot request and let it find problems. When done right click on volume control and choose playback devices. Choose Auzentech speakers and click on properties. Select 5.1 surround sound speaker set up. Unselect all speakers listed for surround sound, Next, unselect all full range speakers and next again. Now when I go to start menu and click on Auzentech. the settings I applied earlier in Auzentech Software are still there. I have great sound and movie viewing but why do I still, after every restart, have to go in and use the trouble shoot? It remembers my selections on the Auzentech App. but still have to reset the windows settings to 5.1 and so on. Getting closer to bug free but not there yet. Any ideas or suggestions? 

#7 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:09 AM

Found out through an optimizer program I was trying out there is an updated driver out there under the name SB X-Fi 3.7 released a couple of months ago. I downloaded and installed it and had some great improvements but still have to reset it every time Windows !0 restarts. So that didn't help. I read on some forum where another person was having the same problem and nobody had figured it out for him. Maybe it's just "one of those things".

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

What is the model of this Gateway, it's not a 66.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

It's a 6610D desktop. Oldie but goodie. Runs Windows 10 like a champ.

#10 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

Also I noticed that in the start menu apps. the is a listing now for Auzentech and Creative drivers. Both a fully functional and I am getting no conflict except I have to run the sound troubleshooter to make the Auzentech my audio format default. I read a blog after Googleing this problem that said to disable the RealTech audio in device manager and under msconfig-start up disable the sound monitor from loading. I don't have anything listed in start up that has anything to do with any audio. Not sure what this means. Any thoughts or comments?

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#11 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

Was doing some tinkering and found under processes that the Creative program was disabled. I enabled it and restarted the computer and ran the troubleshooter and it found no problems. Went to the start menu and clicked on Creative> control panel and it was set up for 5.1 sound and in the right "mode". Closed out and clicked on playback devices and under configure still had to set it to 5.1 speaker arrangement but everything else remained the same preferred selections after a restart. Getting really close to curing the anomaly. Not there yet.

Also still have, in the start menu, a listing for Auzentech and Creative. Tried uninstalling the Auzentech as Creative was the newest set of drivers but it wanted to uninstall both. Can't load Creative drivers without the older Auzentech drivers installed. Strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users