Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Caching?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jiggle_Counter

Jiggle_Counter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

Here's the problem...

There's a company that started out small.

They have their own custom email, admin@businessname.com, using google's Apps For Work agreement. From my understanding they basically lease out a web address and simply point it to what looks like a gmail account with extra features.

Two users shared this gmail account through imap. No problems.

This company has now grown, causing multiple users (8 now, a lot more coming in the future) to access the exact same gmail account.

They all use Outlook 2016 and Google Apps Sync to sync calanders, contacts, emails, etc.

As the users grow, the internet connection becomes clogged with constant syncing to gmail. Not to mention their emails are massive, like a shipping container full of PDFs and photos.

They're all sporting Windows 10 pro and a single 2012 R2 Standard server, which they're simply using as a file server.

My solution to this issue is to have some kind of email application on the 2012 R2 server, sync emails with gmail, and then the local clients will fetch their emails from the local server.

This will ensure that most of the traffic is local, and really the only "user" accessing the gmail account is their Server 2012 R2.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. Not sure if anything like this exists cause I've never tried it before. Not to mention, whatever application this is, it needs to be 100% compatible with gmail. I've experimented with outlook contacting gmail through imap settings, and yet you need to screw around to get the Labels folders working. Using Google Apps Sync seems to mitigate most of the issues, however, it lovingly creates its own profile, which can be annoying if outlook already has other email accounts attached to it.

If there any other suggestions, even if it includes a complete overhaul, then I'd like to hear that too. I want to know their options.

Heck, I was even going to use Squid caching to simply handle all of the attachments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Have you considered running a basic, internal-only SMTP server for internal mail? You could probably start with that, and expand it as need be. I only have a few seconds atm... Will reply back with more info later.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

If they are already using Google Apps for Business, the better solution is just to give everyone a separate email account they can access using Outlook.

If they all still need access to emails coming to the original address, set up forwarding rules in Gmail to forward all incoming email to the new user accounts.

I don't see the utility in multiple people accessing one mailbox. That essentially means no one can delete anything from that mailbox, ever. The solution you are proposing won't necessarily solve the bandwidth issue; you'll still have everyone pulling down the same emails from the same account. Maybe not all at the same time, but still...

As for the calendars, they probably need to migrate those over to some sort of shared calendar they all have access to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users