Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Home Prem shutting down while in use

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

My mothers laptop, a Windows 7 Home Prem machine, has been shutting down on her while in use. She is TYPING on the keyboard looking something up, and boink! The laptop shuts off, forcing her to hit the powerbutton, and windows restarts as if just turning on {and not crashing}

My brother and I think it is a power settings issue, but it shouldn't shut off while in use should it ? It wont even UPDATE through windows updates because of this, updates get canceled outright because of the thing shutting off while in use.

EDIT: I currently dont have access to the machine in question, so a step by step guide on what to do would be quite helpful

Edited by Dragongirl, 26 May 2016 - 05:01 PM.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

It would be helpful to have some data on this particular system.

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

Like I mentioned in the first post I dont have personal access to this machine. However I will direct a friend who does to this thread and to get me that info so I can post it up in my next post or two when given the chance to do so.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

It would really help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.  The differences between a laptop and a desktop make it necessary to use different diagnostics in certain situations.

If the computer is shutting down like the power has been removed I would want to know if there is a problem with the power adapter (laptop) or PSU (desktop) has a problem.  Since you mentioned that it restarts without any problems I would discount the possibility of the being a overheating issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

FWIW:  It doesn't matter who posts the data...your friend can post it into this topic, if you so desire, as long as the instructions are followed as written.

Louis

#6 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

This forum allows guest posting ? I forwarded the directions to him on what to do and how to do it exactly. He now wonders if iti s possible to send me the data via email which I then post here in thjis thread ?

To answer another question from dc3: its a Laptop, Toshiba satalite with windows 7 Home Prem 64bit, 4GB ram, 1TB hard drive. they recvently had to get a new power dapter because the old one literally snapped off the rig when they went to unplug it for transport {we were going on a trip at the time} a quick pitstop at a nearby store solved that problem with a replacement power adapter. they have a cooling pad for it now at my recommendation to get one, all our laptops in this family have a cooling pad to protect from overheating.

Thing is on my old laptop {a Dell Latitiude D620} the power adapter died and wont charge the thing, so I had at the time a Imagine brand {or is it Img ? I dont remmeber} plugged in I got a warning of the powersupply not being recognised and the battery wont charge. Since then I've gotten a proper power adapter for that laptop

Anyhow yes I will see if I can help figure out what is wrong with my mothers machine. I sent them the info, but can it be sent to me to post here {they dont have an account here on BC} for them ?

Thanks much for taking the time to read this guys!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

Members...may post and read, while guests/non-members may only read content.  Becoming a member is not overly taxing for anyone.

Louis

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

There are some possibilities for the laptop to shut down in this fashion.

1.  If they are running it on the battery alone it would shut down like this if the charge dropped too low.

2.  It's possible that the new power adapter isn't the correct one for this laptop.  If it isn't the correct voltage or doesn't produce the required amperage it may not be charging the battery properly.

Can you confirm your previous post where you stated that the computer starts back up without a problem?  It doesn't need time between the time it shuts down and you are able to restart it?

Please post the model of this Toshiba and the make and model of the new power adapter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

It is possible that your laptop is overheating.  The steps outlined in Post #2 will help you determine this. 

I experienced the same issues that you are having.  The shutdowns were difficult to predict, but they occurred at times that the disk drive or the processor were heavily taxed (such as doing a Windows Update). The portion of the laptop near the vent openings was hot to the touch and the fan would be running on high at the time of shutdown.

The solution was to disassemble the laptop, remove the motherboard and heat sink, and clean the dust from heat sink fan.  It was 85% plugged.  The laptop was five years old.  Reseating the heat sink required the application of thermal paste at the processor contact point.  It was a learning experience and I found a YouTube video to follow; it also required patience and a few special tools.

Today the laptop is running fine. 

#10 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Like I said it is not my laptop and they do have a cooling pad. Sadly at this moment it is out of my hands as they said to wait until after an important trip to worry about it. I still have sent the information Louis said to send to get info on the machine in question. Hopefully on the 19th we shall have it, I hope

But at this moment I nor my family have access to the laptop in question.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, have been very busy with importanty family concerns

#11 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

OK! Me again and I got some further information;

Possiblity that it is the power supply causing the shut down is quite strong in terms of the odds that it is the power supply/power cord

Possiblity that it is something else entirely is also quite good too

I learned more that my parents never had their laptop shut off on them while they were using it because before they replaced the power cord {the end that goes into the laptop had broken off} it never shut off on its own, since getting the new power cord/box thing it shuts down on its own while in use

Have yet to get full system report though. My brother has yet to get longtime access to the rig for that to happen though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users