Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini Dvds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

I just got a new videocamera and the mini DVDs record about 1/2 hour.

I'd like to copy multiple Minis onto 1 DVD.

Nero just keeps giving me problems. Do you have any suggestions for free programs that do this, CloneDVD and DVDShrink don't (or I don't know how).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
A frustrated film-maker.

Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hi Tricky.
What format are the movies in?
Reason I ask is some mini dvd cams record in mpeg format and some convert to the dvd file structure on the fly.

#3 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

There are 3 formats that I need to copy:

.ifo, .bup, and .vob

This is getting ridiculous the store where I bought it couldn't even tell me which software would work.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:27 AM

Okay Tricky, that's the DVD file structure I referred to.
I don't know what problem you are having with Nero but that would be my first choice as it will allow you to create a GUI menu on the DVD. You can add your own background images, custom buttons, text, etc.
Shrink can't do that, though it can combine multiple movies on a single DVD.
When you choose the "Make DVD" function in Nero, NVE (Nero Vision Express) will launch.
When you choose "Add Video Files", you choose only the .vob's, which is just a modified mpeg2 with different header info for dvd player compatibility. When NVE makes your DVD, it auto creates the needed .ifo file. Some people make the mistake of trying to pack the disk to capacity using the individual .vob files as a guide to size. You don't want to do that with NVE because the final dvd movie ends up larger with the menus, .ifo's, etc being added. In your case, 3 movies (1\2 hour each) would be the limit for a single layer dvd using NVE. If you try and squeeze more, NVE will complain or possibly freeze up on you. What sort of problem are you having when using Nero and how large are these .vob's?
I assume you got as far as getting these files on your HD first?
Shrink works differently and you use the Re-Author function to add the individual movies, then the Backup function to burn. It requires that all the DVD files be there however. If there is an unreadable .ifo, it will choke. It's just a copy-edit-burn application with the ability remove older copy protection (it's outdated now) and reduce file size by compression. It comes at the cost of lower quality if you compress it to much. The price you pay for craming 6gb on a 4.7gb disk. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 10 August 2006 - 07:44 AM.

#5 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

I tried Nero, Ulead, and other apps.

DVD shrinks worked the best, thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users