Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer X213HL monitor on Windows 10 machine displays "Input Not Supported"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lightfusegetaway

lightfusegetaway

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

Not sure if this is technically a Windows 10 issue (seemed to start with Windows 10 upgrade) or a hardware issue so I'll start by posting here.

I am trying to assist someone with this issue and have tried several options with no success.

The X213HL monitor is connected to a Windows 10 machine using the integrated AMD Radeon HD 7540D graphics adapter. It worked fine for a while but the user says he could only see the Windows 10 loading screen before this message appears.

If I attach the computer to a different monitor (a smaller, lower resolution one) everything works fine.

I suspect this has something to do with a saved hardware profile but I cannot locate this in Windows 10.

I have tried:

-Booting into safe mode with the Acer monitor attached. This works and I can get to the desktop but that's about it.

-Booting into low resolution mode. Get the same message about input.

-Enabled base video option in MSCONFIG. Same thing.

-Downloaded Device Cleanup Tool, which lets you delete hardware profiles for equipment not attached to the machine. Deleted all monitors listed except for the smaller one. Rebooted, reconnected to the Acer, and still get the same message.

-Searched the registry for the monitor model number, didn't find it.

-Attempted to recover from a restore point but no restore points exist.

The only things I have not tried yet are deleting the video card drivers and reinstalling, or trying a different video card. Not sure if the former would make a difference. I'm mainly puzzled by where it is storing the device profile and if I can delete that to resolve the issue.

Will be going back to this person's place tomorrow night to try some other things.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

After you get this message what happens when you power cycle the monitor?  I have HP monitors that give a similar message on boot and turning it off and back on fixes the issue.  It doesn't happen every time, but does happen a couple of times a week.

#3 lightfusegetaway

lightfusegetaway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

After you get this message what happens when you power cycle the monitor?  I have HP monitors that give a similar message on boot and turning it off and back on fixes the issue.  It doesn't happen every time, but does happen a couple of times a week.

Windows loading screen will appear but then the Input Not Supported message will then come up when the login screen is supposed to come up.

I tried removing the video driver and reinstalling. I got to the desktop after removing the driver because it was running on the basic Windows display driver but then after reinstalling, it came up with the error box AGAIN.

I then installed a separate PCI-E video card and was able to get everything working. I think this new video card will resolve the issue. I think the built in hardware has some weird resolutions or refresh rates that are causing the error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users