Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with windows 10 reading SD Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

I just was forced to upgrade to windows 10 (no kidding-my pc just started downloading 10 while I was working on some documents in Word) Anyway I have been playing with 10 to see what I like and don't like. Right off the bat I found that when I plugged in my camera's SD card to a internal card reader that I installed into my pc several years ago ( and it has always worked with win 7) I received a message "an error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" -- error 0X800736b1 So I got online and checked around for a fix. I downloaded Realtek Card Reader but that did not help! Then I saw something online that said if I plugged in a USB thumb drive to the internal card reader and then plugged in the SD card, that it should work! Nope no go! 

I have plugged the same SD card into a reader that is part of my brother printer--no go. Then I tried plugging the same SD card into a reader that was in another pc with 10 and same thing--no go! Then I tried two other SD cards and they both had the same result! 

I did find a work around---when I plug in the SD card and get the error message I click OK, then I go to "THIS PC" and I will see the SD card in the reader drive and I can access the files in the drive. More work than windows 7 by a long shot!!

Is there any way to get the process back to the simple procedure that I had in win 7 ????

When is Microsoft going to stop coming out with upgrades that are more like downgrades!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

well--check this out--I have a sd card that I don't use because it is only 32 Mb--it had two pictures on it so plugged it into the card reader and I got the error message--so then I formatted the card and tried it again--this time it opened automatically like it should--then I took two pictures with it in my camera and plugged it into the card reader--got the error message again time!

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Eureka!!! I found a fix---

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-remove-photos-as-default-sd-card-reader.3146/

2. When I first plugged an SD card in under Windows 10, I was asked to choose an app to read it. I chose the program "Photos". It immediately searched for every photo in the world except for my SD card, and dumped all photos it found into one large bucket - my many photos are currently sorted into folders by category and use. So besides not reading my SD card, it preformed a totally useless task of collecting all my photos and dumping them unsorted in one place, but I also think it is the culprit that has me locked out of my "My Photos" folder as not having permission to save photos edited in other programs. But if I save them in My Documents, it will allow me to copy and paste them in My Photos if I ask permission. Aggravating and inconvenient.
    This fix worked for me---
    Start Button -> Settings ->Devices -> AutoPlay -> Memory Card -> Drop down arrow
    Open folder to view files (File Explorer)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Going forward, if you make weekly or bi-monthly OS and data partition backup onto external media, you can always restore OS totally, and you can always restore folders/files the way such used to be on your hard-drive.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users