Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

Today Secunia tells me that Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition is "end of life". I don't know what it does. I assume it runs in the background. But I don't know what to do with it. It's listed in Revo so I could remove it. But the removal could affect other things. So rather than do something stupid, I thought I would ask about it and someone who knows something about this will point me in the right direction. Secunia did not say the program could be updated. It says "end of life" and the "click to update" link goes to a more recent version of Microsoft SQL Server. Again, I thought it would be best to ask about it before doing anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

This situation is not limited to Win 7 users and has been reported on for more than a year: http://www.infoworld.com/article/2910315/database/sql-server-2005s-end-of-life-clock-is-ticking-down.html

I have an as-of-yet-unanswered thread started in the PSI forum: https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15686/ms_sql_server_2005_compact_edition_is_end_of_life

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Well...my question would be...why was it ever installed on a PC that is not in an enterprise environment?  What value can it possibly represent to a user?

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/definition/SQL-Server

Louis

#4 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

I bought the PC as a refurb so no doubt it was originally a business PC and of course the company doesn't change anything when they resell it. So can I just get rid of SQL if it isn't necessary?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I would...I see no value in having a program installed which does not cater to what I do on my systems.

Louis

#6 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:19 AM

Thanks Louis. I removed it last night using Revo and everything is back to normal. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users