Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GWXUX????

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

I have GWX control panel on my computers, this AM I updated my mini laptop much to my horror A win 10 applet appeared on my desk top after reboot.  I opened task manager then the resource monitor, I found GWXUX running which I had never seen before.  All my computer have the same GWX control panel settings, GWXUX is not present on the other two, I opened the GWX control panel and YES the setting were different this laptop IE not the way they were.  Has me thinking MS may be trying something new, I just put the setting back the way they were originally and will be checking to see if any changes pop up.  Any and all input appreciated.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Update just spent about 20 min going through the updates, found KB:3035583 and KB:2952664.  These were deleted quite awhile back, I again did the following wusa /uninstall /KB: which uninstalled them again.  What has me pissy is how did they get back on the machine and how did GWX control panel settings get changed!!!!!

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:01 AM

GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe is the executable files that notifies the user to upgrade to Windows 10 for free from Microsoft and it is not a malware, virus or trojan active files. The "GWX Control Panel" is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more. The 'Get Windows 10' app will be disabled when device is upgraded to Windows 10.

"GWX Control Panel"
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Posted Image

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

The items posted I am well aware of, if you re-read post #1 you will see I have had all of that covered since the middle of last year.  The mystery is how did this stuff get by GWX control panel and how did the settings in the control panel get changed.  I installed it on all back in February on my tower and my two laptops all three with the exact same settings, it has operated without a hitch on all until this morning.  I checked the othe machines all is fine, what gives with the mini laptop???

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Uninstall KB3035583 Update for Get Windows 10 App icon

The KB3035583 update installs the Get Windows 10 app icon which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness.
This update creates Get Windows 10 icon on Notification area and to remove this icon uninstall KB3035583 update and make sure to hide this update as its available for you to install next time you visit Windows Update.
Additionally, Windows 7 users need to uninstall and hide the update KB2952664. Windows 8/8.1 users need to uninstall and hide update KB 2976978. These last two updates are responsible for checking whether or not your system is compatible with Windows 10 but theyre also downloading Windows 10 in the background.

Uninstalling KB3035583 Update
To remove KB3035583, open Control Panel --> Programs and Features ---> View install updates.
rSTcrUy.png
To quickly find KB3035583, you can sort by name. Once youve located it, right-click and choose Uninstall.

When you select to uninstall this update, youll be asked to confirm and then you will need to restart your computer.

If you remove an installed update (or decide not to install a particular update), Windows Update will constantly warn you that there are updates available. The solution to this problem is to hide the update. You can always use the Restore Hidden Updates command (in the left pane of the Windows Update window) if you later decide to restore and install the hidden update.
From Windows Update window click the link indicating that updates are available.
Right-click the update that you would like to hide and click Hide Update. Click OK.
The update is removed from the list of available updates.

Posted Image

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi Phil,

The dreaded 3035583 appeared on my girl friend's comp last night, good job I was to hand hand or she would have installed it.

and I think that's where your problems started, GWX cp does not monitor updates (never 10 might) so when you start GWX cp it finds the nag ware and other files and informs you of such(making it look like you had never ran it before)

My girl friend's has had GWX cp run on it, but if she had installed the update I would need to run it again. Sadly you still have to be vigilant with the updates.

This is just my view on what may have happened.Some how that update got through.

Hedge 

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

Hi Phil,

The dreaded 3035583 appeared on my girl friend's comp last night, good job I was to hand hand or she would have installed it.

and I think that's where your problems started, GWX cp does not monitor updates (never 10 might) so when you start GWX cp it finds the nag ware and other files and informs you of such(making it look like you had never ran it before)

My girl friend's has had GWX cp run on it, but if she had installed the update I would need to run it again. Sadly you still have to be vigilant with the updates.

This is just my view on what may have happened.Some how that update got through.

Hedge

Looks like you are very wrong i wonder why nobody reads the user guide for program it does reveal hidden features of the program.

GWX Control Panel is the easiest way for users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to protect their computers from Windows 10. With GWX Control Panel you can: Remove the "Get Windows 10" icon that appears in your notification area, prevent your Windows Update control panel from upgrading your computer to Windows 10, prevent your computer from secretly downloading Windows 10 installation files, detect and remove the hidden Windows 10 installation files if they're already on your PC, optionally monitor your computer for unwanted Windows 10-related settings and files- and beginning with version 1.7 you can now easily delete some hard-to-remove program files that are known to cause Windows 10 upgrades and annoyances.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Posted Image

#8 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi Phil,

Hedge

Looks like you are very wrong i wonder why nobody reads the user guide for program it does reveal hidden features of the program.

GWX Control Panel is the easiest way for users of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to protect their computers from Windows 10. With GWX Control Panel you can: Remove the "Get Windows 10" icon that appears in your notification area, prevent your Windows Update control panel from upgrading your computer to Windows 10, prevent your computer from secretly downloading Windows 10 installation files, detect and remove the hidden Windows 10 installation files if they're already on your PC, optionally monitor your computer for unwanted Windows 10-related settings and files- and beginning with version 1.7 you can now easily delete some hard-to-remove program files that are known to cause Windows 10 upgrades and annoyances.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I'm not sure what your point is or what you are saying but I just checked 4 different PC's I have GWX control panel on and it seems the windows update of KB3035583 either installed or was set to install on all 3 of them. I had used every single option on GWX control panel.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Just got home and decided to check all my machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Guess what 3035583 has appeared in new important updates on all three, tell me MS is not screwing around.  3035583 had been uninstalled on all three back in February and removed again from my mini earlier today.  All three machines are set to notify so I will be having to keep an eye on things probably until July, hopefully they will finally give up then! :nono:

#10 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

First, let me clarify a couple of things: I do explicitly block the "Upgrade to Windows 10" patch that can appear in Windows Update depending on your computer's settings. That is actually a special update that is controlled and delivered in a different manner from your typical "KB" updates. Also, while I don't prevent the notorious KB3035583 patch from installing on your computer, my Monitor Mode will notify you if the patch gets installed and my Delete Windows 10 Programs feature will neutralize the update better than actually uninstalling the update would.

So let me be very clear: As of version 1.7.2.0, with the exception of the actual "Upgrade to Windows 10" patch, GWX Control Panel does not prevent specific Windows Update patches from installing, because they don't appear to cause any Windows 10 annoyances that GWX Control Panel can't fix. You control which updates to install via the Windows Update control panel, and I honor your preferences.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/11/the-gwx-control-panel-faq-frequently.html

i wonder why nobody reads the FAQs for a program 

Hedge

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi Phil,

Hedge

I'm not sure what your point is or what you are saying but I just checked 4 different PC's I have GWX control panel on and it seems the windows update of KB3035583 either installed or was set to install on all 3 of them. I had used every single option on GWX control panel.

I have never use GWX Control Panel i have no idea what it suppose to achieve if it cannot block installation of the Get Windows 10 update but if you all read my post 5 you will all never need to use the GWX Control Panel program or any other program to stop Windows 10 upgrade update process. There is no trick when it comes to Windows Update installing uninstalled updates like KB3035583 update as long as the update that is not hidden which blocks the reinstall of the update in question the Windows Update will reinstalls the uninstall updates this is the reason you hide the update you don't want it to be reinstalled or installed.

Edited by FreeBooter, 27 May 2016 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:00 PM

Post#2
Firstly, how are updates set on your machine, Set them to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", it should be impossible for KB3035583 to ever reinstall if you do that, because the only updates that should be able to install are those you decide to give the ok to. Are your updates currently set like this? If so then that is extremely concerning, if KB3035583 was able to install despite having updates on the "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" also make sure to untick the box asking whether you want recommended updates to be treated as if important.

After uninstalling all GWX related KB updates and all KB updates which are updates to the windows update client THEN you can (after changing ownership and then permissions on the files) safely delete all copies of GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe that you find in any folder on your system. But ideally make sure you have a system image first before you start changing ownerships/permissions on "system files", just incase you accidentally remove something that isn't GWX related.

Edited by rp88, 27 May 2016 - 11:00 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

Post#2
Firstly, how are updates set on your machine, Set them to "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download", it should be impossible for KB3035583 to ever reinstall if you do that, because the only updates that should be able to install are those you decide to give the ok to. Are your updates currently set like this? If so then that is extremely concerning, if KB3035583 was able to install despite having updates on the "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" also make sure to untick the box asking whether you want recommended updates to be treated as if important.

After uninstalling all GWX related KB updates and all KB updates which are updates to the windows update client THEN you can (after changing ownership and then permissions on the files) safely delete all copies of GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe that you find in any folder on your system. But ideally make sure you have a system image first before you start changing ownerships/permissions on "system files", just incase you accidentally remove something that isn't GWX related.

You cannot set how updates are retrieved like with previous Windows OS's this option is not included with Windows 10 the updates will be install automatically there is no changing this process with Windows 10. There is no need to delete anything or change any permissions i have explained how to stop Windows 10 upgrade process at my post #5 i would not write the instructions down if i was not sure it wont work. Also the Windows Resource Protection, which protects registry keys and folders as well as critical system file the deletion of these two files could be detected to a protected system file, the deleted files are restored from a cached copy.

Edited by FreeBooter, 27 May 2016 - 11:24 PM.

Posted Image

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

Post#13

Oldphil isn't on windows 10, he's using windows 7 or 8.1, I don't remember which. On either of those operating systems he can set updates so they don't install without his say so. His problem is with windows 10 trying to install itself, if he was already on windows 10 he wouldn't be getting KB3035583 trying to install itself because windows 10 isn't offered that update. Oldphil will need to remove the updates KB2976978, KB3035583 and quite a few others, but after doing that it's almost certain that GWX.exe will still be saved (although possibly not active) on his system, removing the updates doesn't fully remove all GWX traces. he'll probably need to delete GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe, but to do so he'll need to change ownership and permissions on those files, because otherwise they'll refuse to be deleted. certain files in the operating system are like this, they refuse to be deleted when you try to delete them. This is usually a good thing, you wouldn't want to accidentally delete an important system file. GWX is not an important system file, but it is protected in this way as if it were one, that's why oldphil will need to "take ownership" of that file and then "change it's permissions" so that all users have full permissions except for "trusted installer" which must no longer have "full control". Then he can either delete GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe or he can rename them to something like never-let-me-run-GWX.txt and cut them from the folder they are in, paste them into a folder within his documents folder then zip this folder up, hence trapping the copies of GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe so they exist only within a zip file under altered names within a subfolder of his personal documents folders. By trapping the files like this he could restore them if he ever wanted to back to their original names and folder location, but if windows ever tries to find them and run them it won't be able to. As for that thing about cached copies of GWX, If he searches his system for GWX he should find both the copies in the usual place and the cached copies stroed in another folder(likely a subfolder of %WinDir%\WinSxS\ ), he should change ownership/permissions and then delete or rename and relocate the copies just as he should with the originals.

I did this when I once had to remove GWX from my system. It happened when I upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1. That upgrade caused the installation of many windows update including some unwanted ones, I removed the unwanted windows updates from within windows update, but found remnants (copies of GWX.exe and GWXUX.exe) had remained in several places. I removed them by taking ownership, changing permissions, renaming then locking away in a zip file, which I put under further metaphorical "lock and key" by putting that zip file into an encrypted 7z archive. Here is my discussion of when it happened and what I did about it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/page-7#entry3773769 See posts 92 and 93

Edited by rp88, 28 May 2016 - 12:00 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

May bad i forget Get Windows 10 app is install on version of operating systems that are been upgrade to Windows 10.
No need to remove no files uninstalling updates i mention are for upgrading to Windows 10 i have been using this trick for long time and it works once these updates uninstalled there will be no prompt to upgrade to Windows 10. Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1.

I must also should have add that hidden  Get Windows 10 app update may have to be hidden few times so each time update hidden new updtaes should be check to make sure Microsoft has not push another Get Windows 10 app update if it did it must be hidden once i had to do this up to five times but at the end i won.

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 May 2016 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users