Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I fix old computer or buy refurbished business machine?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DeathTongue

DeathTongue

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

My computer has a problem with the CPU overheating (it's usually running around 135-140 F with a nominal target of 122, but sometimes it gets over 150 or more and sometimes shuts itself down.) I'm to the point where I'm running with the case open and a fan blowing on it. I was looking at refurbished machines on Newegg, and I see you can get some pretty nice system units under $300, but would I be better off rebuilding the old machine? I have an AM3 socket, so processor upgrades are limited if I don't replace my micro-ATX motherboard, but my computer has a lot of other good parts that I don't want to go to waste like a nice Centurion case with window, Samsung 500GB harddrive that works great, and a Corsair 650W power supply. WIth the specs as follows, should I fix this old computer?

CPU - Athlon II 640 Propus quad core

RAM - 8GB - 2 Ripjaws 4 GB sticks x 2 DDR3

HDD - Samsung 500GB and Seagate 180GB

OS - windows 7 64 bit

Large Centurion case with 650W power supply

AsRock motherboard with onboard graphics (may need to upgrade to a real graphics card)

Although my replacement options for the CPU alone are limited, would that fix the overheating problem or would I have to replace the motherboard too in order to get that fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Before doing anything, I would get some new thermal paste (with a cleaner kit) and re apply that stuff. Might just not be getting good contact between the CPU and the heatsink/fan. Much cheaper option than buying all new parts. Worth a shot anyway before going all out and buying new parts or a new system.

Thermal paste

Cleaner

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Before doing anything, I would get some new thermal paste (with a cleaner kit) and re apply that stuff. Might just not be getting good contact between the CPU and the heatsink/fan. Much cheaper option than buying all new parts. Worth a shot anyway before going all out and buying new parts or a new system.

Thermal paste

Cleaner

That is an interesting option that I was not aware of, seems like it's worth a shot since it would be cheap to try. Is this needed for all CPU/heatsinks or just when you have a problem? I did clean the heat sink up really good with some brake cleaner so I know it's clean, maybe too clean? The cleanup did not affect the temperature though....

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

But did you apply new thermal paste along with the clean up???

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

No, nor when I originally built this back in 2011.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

Before doing anything, make sure your heatsink and fan is seated correctly.  You need to apply thermal paste with all heatsink and fan units for CPU's.  OEM heatsinks, and many aftermarket ones, come with the thermal compound pre-applied.

You can replace the heatsink and fan unit with a more effective model.  Which motherboard do you have specifically?  You may be able to use any AM3 processor, but your motherboard manufacturer should have a CPU support list for your specific model. 

Those inexpensive $300 systems are that price for a reason.  If I had to buy an inexpensive system, I'd buy one from the Microsoft Store since those are Signature Edition PC's without any bloatware.

An alternate to doing that would be get a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 and AMD FX-6300 for about $150.  You may be able to reuse your old DDR3 RAM.  You may need a new copy of Windows if you are using an OEM or System Builder license.  It has on-board graphics.  Keep in mind that this isn't a high-end board and if you want to overclock, you should use an AMD 900 series chipset.  If you want an add-in GPU, the EVGA GeForce GTX 950 DirectX 12 02G-P4-1958-KR would be a good choice.

3939.png

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

No, nor when I originally built this back in 2011.

Well there is your problem!

You need thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink, otherwise it does not suck the heat out of the CPU.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Applying paste should be done properly, there are numerous videos on the tube.  To much paste is as bad as non, I have little doubt you will see a marked drop in temps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

Since I didn't use thermal paste originally, is this CPU compromised? If I can get a replacement Phenom II for under $100 (hopefully a lot less, maybe used), would that be a good upgrade, or would the motherboard possibly be damaged also from the heat?

My current MB is an Asrock:

ASRock 890GM PRO3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX 
  • AMD 890GX
  • Phenom II / Athlon II / Sempron
  • DDR3 1800(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066/800

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

Since I didn't use thermal paste originally, is this CPU compromised? If I can get a replacement Phenom II for under $100 (hopefully a lot less, maybe used), would that be a good upgrade, or would the motherboard possibly be damaged also from the heat?

• AMD 890GX

Here is the CPU support list for your motherboard.  You can use FX processors.

3939.png

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

It might be okay. You originally would have had paste on there. The heatsink/fan kit that comes with CPUs already have it pre-applied. I would buy the paste I linked above and apply it. As OldPhil mentioned, watch some videos on youtube to see how to apply it. Not to difficult. usually you just put a drop (about pea sized) in the middle and it will get spread out from the pressure of the heatsink.

#12 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

• AMD 890GX

Here is the CPU support list for your motherboard.  You can use FX processors.

From what I can tell, I don't have the AM3+ socket, just the regular AM3 - is the FX still an option, or am I wrong?

I think I'm going to put in an order for some paste today and see what that does, although I think I may already have caught the upgrade bug while considering this problem.

Edited by DeathTongue, 26 May 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

From what I can tell, I don't have the AM3+ socket, just the regular AM3 - is the FX still an option, or am I wrong?

I think I'm going to put in an order for some paste today and see what that does, although I think I may already have caught the upgrade bug while considering this problem.

Unofficially AM3+ CPU's work on AM3 socket, however there may be some issues with power saving features and such.

As I said on previous thread, SSD makes much more difference than CPU upgrade. You can of course have both.

#14 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

Unofficially AM3+ CPU's work on AM3 socket, however there may be some issues with power saving features and such.

As I said on previous thread, SSD makes much more difference than CPU upgrade. You can of course have both. 

An SSD would be great, and a lot quieter than what I have now, but the price would  blow my budget, I really don't want to spend more than about $200 right now if possible, the less the better. And, upgrading to better performance would be nice, but not necessary, the old CPU and sata hard drive are getting the job done when it's not shutting itself down from overheating.

Edited by DeathTongue, 26 May 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Try the paste first, the machine is running so the chip seems Ok just HOT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users