Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event viewer query relating to Workstation Name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 solquiff

solquiff

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Something that is worrying me is how my girlfriend's name appears at times in the Workstation name. We both have our own laptops with just 1 profile, on my laptop under my name and on hers under her name.

However, her workstation is showing on mine which I do not understand. When I start up my computer there is just one user profile (mine) and I put in my password. Even when she uses my computer she is still connecting as me so I don't understand how her name would appear in workstation name. Another thing is that a lot of the times I have noticed this are times when I would have been working on my computer and she would be at work, so it is very confusing. Should I be worried about this?

Malware bytes has shown the usual malware stuff PUP.OPTIONAL.CONDUIT etc so I don't think this is the problem: Here is an example of one of the logs. I have removed her name and my IP:

An account was successfully logged on.

Subject: Security ID: NULL SID Account Name: - Account Domain: - Logon ID: 0x0

Logon Type: 3

New Logon: Security ID: ANONYMOUS LOGON Account Name: ANONYMOUS LOGON Account Domain: NT AUTHORITY Logon ID: 0xe56308 Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Process Information: Process ID: 0x0 Process Name: -

Network Information: Workstation Name: **(GIRLFRIENDS NAME) Source Network Address: **** Source Port: 49744

Detailed Authentication Information: Logon Process: NtLmSsp Authentication Package: NTLM Transited Services: - Package Name (NTLM only): NTLM V1 Key Length: 128

Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

That is normal when you have windows machines connected on the same network, there are services on windows that look for other machines on the network and can generate those kind of events.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 solquiff

solquiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. So the workstation doesn't necessarily mean that she has a profile on my computer?

Would her laptop have to be turned on for this to show up on mine? hers is normally always turned off as she doesn't use it often.

I have looked on the event viewer on her laptop and searched for my name and nothing came up.

What type of services  on windows that look for other machines on the network? And by network do you mean the home WIFI network?

Thanks again

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Hi, thank you very much for your reply. So the workstation doesn't necessarily mean that she has a profile on my computer?

No, most likely the computer is named using her name and that information is used on the report.

Would her laptop have to be turned on for this to show up on mine? hers is normally always turned off as she doesn't use it often.

Yes.

I have looked on the event viewer on her laptop and searched for my name and nothing came up.

It depends of the system configuration, your system could have the services disabled or some firewall blocking the communication for example.

What type of services  on windows that look for other machines on the network? And by network do you mean the home WIFI network?

There are several for example "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" if you access the Network Sharing Center under Advanced Sharing Settings (on Windows 7) there are options to enable/disable Network Discovery or File and Print Sharing those options for example change the way the computer is visible and search for other machines on the network.

If both machines connect to the same Home wifi network by wireless or cable they are on the same local network.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 solquiff

solquiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hi. thanks

I have looked and we do not have any homegroup set up for sharing or printing etc. We are not that computer savy. Do you think this is anything to worry about, or is it normal for people in the same house (using the same wifi network) to show up on the other person's workstation?

In cant confirm for certain if the times when it shows up that her computer was turned on, that is what freaks me out.

I am just concerned that someone could be hacking into my computer.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

I don't think you have to worry about that.

If you don't use any Files/Print sharing you can secure the machine by making sure you have the Windows Firewall enabled, if you don't have a 3rd party product and the network profile set as Public.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/choosing-network-location#1TC=windows-7

___
Rui

#7 solquiff

solquiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks, the firewall is always on. 

From the look of the log in my first post you think everything looks normal?

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, the firewall is always on. 

From the look of the log in my first post you think everything looks normal?

Yes.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users