Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

My laptop is a Dell, with Windows 7, 2GB RAM, and an 80GB hard drive. I don't remember what is processing speed is, but you can probably make a general estimate, based on its RAM.

This is exclusively a "home/home office" laptop. I use it to stream Youtube videos while I'm laying on the bed (because I can just reach across and turn it off if I want, so I don't have to get out of bed to turn the playlist off at the desktop), to look up guides online when my desktop is running a full-screen game, and also as a secondary computer in my desktop isn't working right.

However, my laptop has, for a while now, spontaneously crashed on me. It's usually a blue screen of death. But what's really annoying is that, nine times out of ten, the screen will become excessively pixelated and I can't see anything. Sometimes, I'll still be in Windows, but it will actually show me TWO versions of the desktop, one on top of the other.

This is definitely a hardware problem, because in the rare event the blue screen does not result in heavy pixellation, it will tell me "Hardware failure. Contact system administrator." I wish it would tell me precisely which hardware part is the problem, but at least I know it's hardware.

How do I do a diagnosis to tell exactly what I need to swap out?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

Have you blown the dirt out of it recently? Find the exhaust vent(s) and, with the laptop off, blow in through those vent(s) with a can of blowoff. I have seen laptops run 85 degrees cooler afterwards!
But; you must also be careful not to block the intake fan on the bottom or it will overheat every time.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

Can you find a stock photo of the Dell Latitude D630 and show me where the exhaust vents are?

Also, what's a "can of blowoff?" Where can I find one at a reasonable price? Can I save money by just blowing the area you specify with my mouth?

My current build:

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

Please consider purchasing a usb connected external cooling assembly [one giant fan or two twin fans], around $15-20.  If the laptop gets too hot, it can lead to problems with hardware, which then passes on the problem to software.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 May 2016 - 09:54 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Now, if I spend this money, and it doesn't fix the problem are you going to buy it back from me?

I can't afford to waste money on gadgets and gizmos that are not 100% guaranteed to fix the problem.

My current build:

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

Now, if I spend this money, and it doesn't fix the problem are you going to buy it back from me?  I can't afford to waste money on gadgets and gizmos that are not 100% guaranteed to fix the problem.

A highly qualified tech friend of mine told me concerning computers:  heat is an enemy to electronics.

Any action or device that can keep computer [desktop or laptop especially] cooler makes it last longer, and, at least excessive heat won't be the enemy of that particular collection of electronics.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 May 2016 - 10:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Now, if I spend this money, and it doesn't fix the problem are you going to buy it back from me?

I can't afford to waste money on gadgets and gizmos that are not 100% guaranteed to fix the problem.

Most stores have atleast a 30 day return policy. A can of air dust is like 5-10 bucks. If the graphics card is dying you are pretty much SOL. Have you made sure the drivers are up to date? Have you tried hooking up an external monitor to see if the problem still persist?

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:56 PM

They are the four rectangles in the lower right of this pic:
http://activcom.pl/maciek/Wojtek/ccc/FIRM2.jpg
Blow off (and everybody carries it): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dust-Off-Electronics-Duster/25596750?WMLSPARTNER=WLPA&SELECTEDSELLERID=0&adid=22222222227017954432&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40880694992&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78810612872&veh=sem
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users