Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying for clean Win10 install - Wizard can't find C: drive for installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ko85

ko85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hey, all.

I'm troubleshooting my Dell XPS 13 9350. Drivers all updated and all Windows updates installed, but I'm encountering a ton of BSODs and black screen crashes. I've got another thread for that crap here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613079/win-10-dell-xps-13-9035-abrupt-black-screencrashingbsod/

I recently said "Screw it" and tried doing a fresh install of Windows 10 to see if that would fix anything. But upon choosing "Custom Install" after the boot, the install wizard said there were no drives to install to (how that could be possible when I'm running Windows, I don't understand). I then tried resetting the PC back to factory settings, but I was told there were vital partitions missing and that the reset couldn't be done. 

I downloaded EaseUS Partition Master, which found nothing wrong, and then EaseUS Data Recovery, which seemed to find missing partitions, but didn't fix the issue (honestly, I didn't quite know what to do with the recovered items and I couldn't find information on what to do.)

If anyone has any insight on what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've attached the logs I submitted on my other thread in case they provide some clue as to what's going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rjjr4spon88h2c/JOHN_PC_5_25_2016_10_35_17_PM.zip?dl=0

Attached Files

Edited by ko85, 26 May 2016 - 04:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

Have you tried booting from install media and trying that way?  Which Windows 10 do you want?  Build, and version.

Edited by dhjohns, 26 May 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#3 ko85

ko85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

I don't have a CD drive, so I created a bootable USB using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. I'm just trying to get the latest build of Home edition to see if the clean install fixes all these issues. I might even try to downgrade to 7, though after spending this much on a laptop I feel it's ridiculous to have to compromise. 

#4 xLarry

xLarry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Take a picture of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users