Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Reboots While Running Virus Or Spybot Scan

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 truckie

truckie

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

Please help somebody! Whenever I try to run my virus scan or Spybot scan my computer will reboot about half way through the scan. WHY!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

First of all truckie,Welcome to the forum !!

What AV are you using?
Have you tried running you're AV in Safe Mode ?

Then follow these instructions:Download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE". http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.
http://castlecops.com/t137442-CCSP_Ewido_I...structions.html

Download and scan with Sysclean Package
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
also in safe mode after scanning with ewido.
1. Create a new folder on drive "C:\" ("C:\New Folder") and rename it Sysclean.
2. Place the sysclean.com inside that folder.
3. Then download the latest Virus Pattern Files (lptXXX.zip). http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
4. Extract the lptXXX.zip pattern file into the same folder you created for sysclean.com.
5. Close all open applications and DISABLE your current anti-virus software. Some anti-virus programs such as Avast will alert you to a virus attack when running sysclean so it's best to disable them first.
6. Open the Sysclean folder and double-click on sysclean.com to run.
7. It will take some time to complete. Be patient and let it clean whatever it finds.
8. Exit when done and re-enable your anti-virus program.
Then perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan
a-squared Web Malware Scanner
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/ax/

You also may have too many system resources running at once, causing the reboot. Go to Start --> Run --> type in "MSCONFIG" and go to the last tab called "Startup". Here, you will see a long list of programs that run without you knowing in the background, eating up your system resources. Uncheck any boxes that resemble either uneeded third party software and/or files you know you do not need (e.g. INTERNAT --> useless unless you type other than english on your PC). Once you are done, click ok and restart your PC.
You can read more about these and look them up HERE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:40 PM

First check the Event Viewer for errors. Start>Programs> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer
When you post the error message write it down letter for letter.

Edited by acklan, 08 August 2006 - 11:40 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:16 AM

After you do that post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your possible malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html
:

#5 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

BOOPME, I tried to do as you stated "Download and scan with Sysclean Package at
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp , but I received the following when trying to run "Pattern File
"LPT$VPN.*" is missing, Please download a copy. And I WAS able to run my eTRUST EZ antivirus and Ewido in the safe mode.

Edited by truckie, 10 August 2006 - 11:49 AM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

OK, If you are still shutting down, follow the instructions in acklans post and post the results
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

I cannot find Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. Should I have this on Windows XP home edition?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenance
Event Viewer

#9 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

I ran Spybot on SAFE MODE and it still stops and reboots about half way through. I also ran the Event Viewer but I am unsure of what I am supposed to post.
I see an APPLICATION file and SECURITY file and SYSTEM file. I see errors in the APPLICATION and SYSTEM files. And do you want just todays date? Thanks

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

List the most current errors.

#11 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\YOUR-24B0KWVRMN.ldb" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDBA1.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\YOUR-24B0KWVRMN.ldb" was corrupt and has been deleted.

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt, restoring from backup "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\BACKUP.RDB".

TrueVector engine: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDBA0.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB" was corrupt and has been deleted.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

TrueVector is a component of Zone Alarm. I would recommend un-installing Zone Alarm and re-installing it.

#13 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

I cannot find a Zone Alarm on my computer, is TrueVector in anything else? I did a search also for Zone Alarm and TrueVector with nothing found. Thanks

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

ZoneAlarm is a third party firewall which should be listed in your programs menu under Zone Labs.

If you hover your cursor on Zone Labs you will see an uninstaller in there - use it, reboot and then download and install ZoneAlarm Free from the following link:

http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 August 2006 - 10:23 AM.

#15 truckie

truckie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

I have looked under my programs menu and cannot find Zone Labs or a Zone alarm. What now? Should I install it anyway? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users