Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canned Speech 'holder'..?....maker...??...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

When dealing with problems /questions/infections/ etc etc etc....in the Windows areas....I had a program which dealt nicely with the 'canned speeches' etc etc....I was able to make up procedures for OP's to follow in order to run things like minitoobox, mbam, tdss, etc etc.....+ countless other tid bits I had stored there to cover any and nearly all occasions/circumstances...

Obviously that particular program will not run in linux and there is no chance of it ever happening.

SO....

What does everyone else use ?

What is available....either free or paid

I am half decided to get rid of the virtual machine which contains win 10, and simply operate from Linux.... period.  If i do that, I definitely need something that works...and is simple

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

What does everyone else use ?

The keyboard, We type a lot.

#3 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:42 AM

Try Autokey ...http://lifehacker.com/5845445/the-best-text-expansion-app-for-linux ... it's about the only publicly available tool of this type I could find any reference to.

There's a few wikis for it ... https://code.google.com/archive/p/autokey/wikis

Haven't tried it out myself yet, so can't make any comments on how easy it is to use, or how effective it is.

Easiest way to install is ...

sudo apt-get install autokey-qt

Edited by Gary R, 26 May 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:13 PM

Totally unknowing here but is there any practical use for this or is it just a neat toy?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 916 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

Totally unknowing here but is there any practical use for this or is it just a neat toy?

If you're offering help on the forums, programs like this can be a real time saver, when you may have to post the same piece of information as a reply to multiple posts all asking the same (or very similar) questions.

In the malware help forums we use canned speeches all the time, and personally, over the years, I have built up a collection of hundreds of pre-written instructions which mean I can spend my time analysing a persons problems, rather than in writing instructions for actions that I've literally had thousands of people perform.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

Ok I can see that now. Is this for your tool linked too or both yours and condobloke? Just curieous.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

Would putting some of them into Libre Office and copy/pasting from there work?  At least as a stop-gap until you find something else.  I would think that beats typing...

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

That is one way....slow and tedious but it would work for a while

I have installed a copy of windows 10 in oracle virtual box and also managed to find a copy of the program I used previously in win 10 to organise speeches etc...

When I attempt to install it in win 10 virtual it tells me " the program cant start because MSVCR71.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

only in windows would i get that crap.

Edited by Condobloke, 27 May 2016 - 08:30 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:28 AM

only in windows would i get that crap.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

But seriously folks, this has me interested, now.

Whether it be on posting screenshots, using Aptik or Timeshift, and numerous other examples, I give this sort of advice all the time.

I just didn't know it was called "canned speech" until now, lol.

As 66Batmobile alluded, I have several of these saved in my Knowledge Base folder (LibreOffice) and copy and paste them when needed.

I also write macros and assign hotkeys or hotkey combinations (and used batch files in Windows for 20 years), so I am seeing some possibilities here.

Firefox is my browser of choice, I may be able to work something out.

I'll also be looking into Gary R's lead - thanks Gary.

:wizardball: Wizard in motion (still moving)

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:51 AM

It is proving to be quite a headache !

I have a quite enormous collection just from the last 5 years or so.....and now that I find myself involved in Linux...it will only grow !!!

A program used in windows was called blueline     it was very simple.....did not store any pics....but other than that it did the job.

The possibilities of it running in Linux are as close to zilch as it is going to get.

Your reference to the fact that it is called "canned speeches" is quite appropriate.....I am also struggling to describe it adequately and properly so that others will know what the hell I am talking about.

SO....to clarify.......an example...::

Download Security Check from here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.
NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run

Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
    • Other Services
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

SO ....as can be seen there is a lot to store....and of course it is mandatory that the 'Links" stored must remain live.

Anyhoo......onward and upward....I hope.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

I am also struggling to describe it adequately and properly so that others will know what the hell I am talking about.

Does blueline have a website? If so can you please post a link to it? I've never heard of this type of software before and am curious as to how it works.

#12 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 916 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

• Double click FRST.exe to launch it.
  • FRST will start to run.
  • Click yes to the disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button,
  • When finished 2 logs will open on your Desktop.
  • Please post them in your reply.

As an example of "canned speech" use, the above "speech" was inserted in this post using Autokey when I typed Fscan which I'd stored in Autokey as an abbreviation for it (I could also have used a hotkey combination).

The programs I use in Windows are a lot more polished and flexible than Autokey is, but I'd say that with a little bit of familiarisation, it is a crude but usable product.

Edited by Gary R, 28 May 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

@ Al1000,  This was a program developed inhouse by one of the 'geek' malware training establishments....it was passed to me by an ex member of that establishment. It was much sought after at the time because it made light work of what were seriously arduous tasks.

Gary R ....I will have another 'crack' at Autokey...  I went to the incorrect site before.....(not sure how i managed that !).....it is installed now.....I will spend some time figuring it out

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

I have still to look at Autokey, and it may fill your needs.

In the meantime, I have found an addon for Firefox known as "Clippings", and I post my results for it below:

Here's a template I provide for taking screenshots in the Linux Section, you need to use an image hosting site:

Newbies on screenshots -

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

… #2 refers.

More recently, in helping another Member, they used http://postimage.org (formerly postimg.org), I joined it, and they are also BC friendly

(My notation, end of clipping)

This is one I use frequently to help Members post screenshots to help us help them.

I last used it here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610866/home-partition-size-with-dual-boot/?p=3977918

and if you compare you will see that the text has copied, and the url's are active links, however the quote box formatting did not.

Perhaps a start for you?

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - the clippings you generate can have a shortcut key assigned ... in my case, I just had to right click in this reply pane, and follow prompts from Clippings, press Ctrl-Alt-V-S (S stands for "Screenshot", my name for it) and in it went

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 28 May 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:06 AM

G'day Wiz....I am in the middle/start of playing with CLIPPINGS...... Broni suggested this to me earlier today.

So far it is quick and effective....although I have not figured out if I can keep links "live", and also preserve the formatting(bold) when I copy and paste a 'speech' to a 'new clipping' in organise clippings....

One way I have found to keep the links 'live' is to enter it in this way.....  Download Security Check from >>>>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/ <<<<< and save it to your Desktop.

At least then the link is clickable and all is good. It doesnt look as smooth as I would like...but beggars cannot be choosers !

However...preserving the "bold" applied to some of the words is another story......I copy and paste  Security Check into the clippings manager and I end up with Security Check.   I am not sure if there is a setting that I have not got my head around or what the bleep is going on....maybe it is just not capable of handling that.

Edited by Condobloke, 29 May 2016 - 12:28 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users