Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Already got the new laptop - now what??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:44 PM

My computer tech got me the Dell Precision 7510 with Windows 10 Professional - NOW WHAT.  I am getting rid of the Desktop (XP Professional)  mainly because Quickbooks 2016 won't work on an XP and I have to have the QB - so that was my reason. I also have another old laptop (XP Pro) that is an exact duplicate of the desktop that I plan to keep for awhile (just in case)  Now the questions.  I have been cleaning out the desktop getting rid of a bunch of crap that I don't need 24/7.

How do I get all the programs from the desktop to the laptop?  I already have Office 360, Firefox and some others.  Do I have to download each one so it would be an up to date - drivers etc.  I don't even know where to begin.

Anyone game to clue me in?  Hopefully by the time I wake up tomorrow, I might have a step or two to do and then we can see how it goes.  TIA 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:55 PM

Yes, you need to download each piece of software individually and then install it on your new machine. You cannot "transfer" them.

No easy way around that nasty job...

#3 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

not what I wanted to hear!  Maybe I'll take it somewhere! :smash:   :killcomp:   Thanks for the quick reply.  Nighty night from Maine.  Friends went to Australia and loved it.  Maybe I'll go some day

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

Have a great sleep.

:busy:

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,751 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

@judyjht, wow...nice computer!  I think this is the wrong place to ask this question though, you should be in the Windows 10 Forum at this point in time.  Good luck and enjoy!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users