Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my old DDR3 RAM fit in newer computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DeathTongue

DeathTongue

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

My old computer that I built out of parts in 2011 is starting to have the CPU overheat. I've tried a new case fan, but that was no help, so I'm thinking of just replacing it with a refurbished business desktop from Newegg or Amazon. Right now I have an Athlon II Propus 640 quad core CPU with 8 GB ram in 2 4GB Ripjaws DDR3 SD1333 memory sticks, running on Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. The performance is still fine on my old machine for uncharted waters online and emails, but I want to get either an i-core 3 or i-core 5 with 8 GB memory and stick with win7 64 bit. My question is, will the old memory units work with the newer computer if it has 4 slots? Are all DDR3 memory chips compatible?

Side question - I saw a test of 10 CPU's and the Celeron Haswell was doing quite well even compared to the i3 and i5 in some tests - what's up with that? Should I consider celeron?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

Those memory sticks should be (nothing is 100%) compatible with new DDR3 motherboards.

Celeron Haswell might be close to i5 if only two cores are used. When using more cores, it will be quite much slower. Another question is why you would want i3/i5 for light use. SSD offers much more performance/dollar than any CPU change.

#3 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Another question is why you would want i3/i5 for light use. SSD offers much more performance/dollar than any CPU change.

Even though I don't use Illustrator or plya hi-def 3-D games, I still want my computer to be as fast as my limited budget will allow, both to allow it to be good to use for as many years as possible, and also just because I like my computer to be as fast as possible.  An SSD is very interesting, but I'm not sure if that's in my price range at the time, in fact I'm wondering if I should upgrade my old system instead. I guess I may need to start a new thread to address that now that I'm going down that line of thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users