Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflict with internal DVD/CD player and new internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 akwin8

akwin8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

I ordered a computer in 2014. I installed an internal hard drive and named it E: (C: is the main drive, D: is the recovery partition). An internal DVD/CD player was included, however, I did not notice that it wasn't working until after installing the hard drive as E:. I tried to fix the DVD/CD player and it seemed simple: a wire was hanging out and just had to snap it into place.

When I did that, the computer refused to load and was stuck on the HP startup screen for hours (literally). I disconnected the E: internal hard drive and rebooted. After a few minutes, the computer loaded into Windows and the DVD/CD player was now E: and worked.

How can I keep the internal hard drive as E: and still have a working DVD/CD player? How can I force Windows to use another letter for the DVD/CD player instead of it automatically assigning it E and coming into conflict with the hard drive?

Specs: Windows 8.1 / HP 810-150se

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:41 AM

Try another SATA cable for DVD.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:09 AM

Via disk management, assign your cd-dvd device drive letter I [I've done that with my internal cd-dvd devices for years].  Your recovery partition normally does not have a drive letter assigned.  Windows OS partition is normally defaulted to drive letter C.  And, if there is a System Reserved partition, it normally does not have a drive letter assigned.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 May 2016 - 05:10 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

To augment RolandJS' post, I generally set the optical drives to Y and Z so they will be well out of the way.

WinKey+R -> DISKMGMT.MSC<enter>  Right-click on the drive you want to change and choose change drive letter and path.  Change it then ignore the warning message when it prompts you with OK.

What happened is that the order you plugged things into the system board got messed up so the boot loader assigns the E letter to the optical drive before the other internal hard disk drive; but, don't try to fix it by changing the cable positions, it could get worse!

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users