Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Members and trust...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CarlesX

CarlesX

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

I admit I haven't read the entire subforum to check if this has been addressed already, and I'm not sure if this is the place to ask such a question, but here it goes.

This will probably sound silly and suspicious, but how can we be sure that there aren't members around here that are involved with the malware business, and just pretend to be helpful just to use any info that they can collect to their own advantage, so that they can perfect their "product" and make it even more difficult for us to crack it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

I don't see how malware authors could collect anything here that they can't test on their own... Could you provide an example?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

I don't see how malware authors could collect anything here that they can't test on their own... Could you provide an example?

One of them could pose as someone who got infected with certain malware, ask for suggestions/solutions, find out about people's work and ideas on solving it, and report back to their group about their findings. No? I'm just throwing stuff out here off the top of my head.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

They wouldn't even need to pose for that... The forum is open to the public, so everyone who ends up here can read the threads freely. Why would malware developers bother to create a thread and follow the instructions? They don't care about that. What they care about is how some specific tools are made (such as decrypters) to see what are the weakness in their malware and patch it up as quickly as possible.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

I get that. Sounds right. It just hit me because there's also private messaging going on around here. Plus, I'm being a bit paranoid because my laptop got infected a couple days ago.

Edited by CarlesX, 25 May 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

I can guarantee you that malware devs are monitoring BleepingComputer (some of them even signed up, and recently on top of that), though most of them don't sign up and simply lurk to see what is being done by the malware removal community to fight the threats they keep on throwing at the users. Grinler probably knows the most about this though.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

The fact that they were discovered after signing up is comforting.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Well, most of them weren't hiding it. Here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/hidden-tear-ransomware-developer-blackmailed-by-malware-developers-using-his-code/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

What a mess. It kind of amazes me that they "felt bad" for one victim, though.

The thing is, although I know it's wrong to pay them ANYTHING, if they were asking for like $50 or something, I might consider it at least. But these guys think that their victims are millionaires or something.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:58 PM

This will probably sound silly and suspicious, but how can we be sure that there aren't members around here that are involved with the malware business, and just pretend to be helpful just to use any info that they can collect to their own advantage, so that they can perfect their "product" and make it even more difficult for us to crack it?

It isn't silly or suspicious. You have a valid concern. The only way to find out what you want to know is ask.

#11 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

Thanks!

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

Another thing about PMs... Its specifically forbidden by the rules to give help via PM here. Not saying it never happens (have had a few members ask me myself), but the likelyhood of someone replying with semi-confidential information is close to nill.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#13 CarlesX

CarlesX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Gotcha.

#14 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

I'm spooked when l see multiple cats liasing together, in cahoots as it were.

I mean, i get like your OP

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm spooked when l see multiple cats liasing together, in cahoots as it were.

Oh really? I'll keep that in mind. :whistle:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users