Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT Connecting gtx 750 ti to 550w psu using molex 6 pin y cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phickspc

phickspc

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

Hi

I want to upgrade gpu but not psu.

I bought an asus gtx 570 ti card. It needs a 6 pin but my 2008/9 old HCE 550 TD PTE psu does not have one.

So I bought this cable which has 3 ends; a 6 pin, a 3 pin and a 2pin. Looks like the photo on the product page but one of the 4 pins actually shows 2 physical pins.

http://www.pcworld.c...885888-pdt.html

But I don't know how to connect it?

1.6 pin goes into gpu.

2. Do I connect the 4 pin (with 3 actual pin connectors) to any unused female molex?

Or does this short 10cm cable have to go directly to psu?

3. Where does the other 4 pin (with 2 actual pin connectors) go?

Does it need to be connected?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

570ti or 750ti?
And yes, with the adapter one end goes into the graphics card and the other end into 2 molex connectors

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

I'm curious, why would you need 2 molex connectors, if you can have a 6-pin cable directly from the PSU into the GPU?

My GPU is EVGA GeForce GTX 950 SC (NVIDIA, Superclocked, 2GB, GDDR5). It came with a similar connector as the one linked to in the OP i.e. a 6-pin connector that clearly fits into the GPU's 6-pin port, with 2 molex ends at the opposite side.

My PSU at the time (Corsair CX600M ??) had a (modular?) lead going out of the PSU, and terminating in 2 molex ends.

I actually was able to connect the PSU's 2 molex ends, to the GPU's 2 molex ends, but then l thought it looked really silly. So, l just connected the PSU directly to the GPU using a different (modular?) lead.

Never got a video output any which way, hence l'm curious about the molex connector that can come bundled with a GPU. I'm guessing it's for compatibility with older PSUs, and not an outright necessity?

#4 phickspc

phickspc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

Okay thanks everyone.

I've got it working with an existing SIX pin in my pc.

There was no leads in the gpu box.

I couldnt see a 6 pin connector in my pc because I thought it wasnt there but it was actually hidden under other looms (custom build pc).

If I didnt find a 6 pin ready from the psu, I would have connected this y cable.

Btw, there was two molex ends as I said one had TWO pins and the other THREE. For those in confusion, they both go into any molex receivers and it will be fine. I got this info from meshcomputers.com tech support.

Edited by phickspc, 26 May 2016 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users