Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can only access internet sites in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hey guys, have some internet connection problems with my Windows 7 PC.

A couple of days ago, I put my computer into sleep mode, as I was working on a WordPress post which I planned to get to later. However, I forgot to get back to it until today. So when woke my PC up, I had access to the internet and various websites for less than five minutes until I was unable to access anything at all, including the Microsoft homepage, windows online help, or windows update.

At first, I thought there was a problem with my connection, except my mobile device was able to access the internet just fine, which meant it had to be something wrong with the PC. Also, I discovered that while Firefox and IE cannot load up any webpage, Google Chrome can display search results but no web pages.

The very first thing I did was shut the computer off completely then restarted, thinking my problem was a result in leaving in Safe Mode too long. The problem still persisted, only this time I noticed that Avast Antivirus was running on Start Up. So I unchecked this from my startup list of programs, then restarted again. Again, the problem persisted.

My next step was to run cmd under administrator to see if I could ping any address or IP port. It was successful, however, I then did a netsh winsock reset just to be sure. Once again, I had same problem.

I then restarted the PC in safe mode, then updated and ran MalwareBytes and CCleaner. While I was doing this, I found that I had full internet access while in safe mode. Also, MalwareBytes and CCleaner couldn't find anything malicious. So I restarted the computer in normal mode, and tried accessing the internet again. Same problems as before, and again, I could only access the internet in safe mode.

So then I figured perhaps one of my startup programs was causing the problem, so I disabled them all while in Safe Mode, then restarted the computer. And yet again, I still couldn't get full internet access unless I was in Safe Mode.

So at the moment, I'm stuck as to what could be causing this. Is there some step I am missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

I would try a clean boot as shown in this guide. Then enable a few startup items and non-microsoft services until internet becomes disabled. You will need to track down the startup item or service causing the problem.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

#3 MJMStillanerd

MJMStillanerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

I would try a clean boot as shown in this guide. Then enable a few startup items and non-microsoft services until internet becomes disabled. You will need to track down the startup item or service causing the problem.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Yeah, I just realized I forgot to check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and "disable all" steps when doing the clean boot. Once I did that, my internet connection in Normal Mode worked perfectly. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which startup or service is causing the conflict. Thanks, JohnC_21!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

If you have avast Internet Security the first thing I would look at is the firewall. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users