Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about browser white listing, and browser MSI Package deployment

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BamaMedic

BamaMedic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello!

Sorry if any of this seems to be wrong regarding these forums, this is my first post and I am generally new to forums. 

I am trying to deploy either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to computers in my domain using GPO. (Windows Server 2008) I am aware on how to deploy packages using GPO, but this is a bit tricky.

Right now the end users are restricted to IE so we can use the vanilla content adviser to white list only a handful of websites. But some websites and programs seem to either work better on Firefox or Chrome, or don't work on IE at all. The issue lies in that those two browsers don't seem to have a content adviser. I read that there are some extensions that you can install that would work, but I am unsure as how to package the extensions with the browsers in order for them all to deploy together. Also, if I do end up packaging them with extensions, would the end user just be able to uninstall the extension?

If there's not a way to do this, is there software that I could install that would monitor all network traffic (for certain users) and block access to anything other than white listed sites? Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question. Been working on this for days!

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

I don't have experience doing that but I had to do in the past a research about policies on Google Chrome and found about Google Chrome for Work that supports the use of policies deployed via GPO.

https://www.google.com/work/chrome/browser/

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 May 2016 - 03:42 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 BamaMedic

BamaMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

I don't have experience doing that but I had to do in the past a research about policies on Google Chrome and found about Google Chrome for Work that supports the use of policies deployed via GPO.

https://www.google.com/work/chrome/browser/

Thank you for the reply! 

Yes I'm aware that Google for Work supports use of policies. However, I would not be able to pay the amount monthly that Google asks for that software. Nontheless you can download the MSI for chrome from the Google website for free, same with Firefox. That's why I was trying to go that route. :)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Where did you got the impression that you have to pay for that Google Chrome for the Enterprise?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 BamaMedic

BamaMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Where did you got the impression that you have to pay for that Google Chrome for the Enterprise?

I think I looked at the website wrong, Google Apps for Work is $5 a month per user. Though when I try and make an account for Google Chrome for Work, (https://admin.google.com/accountchooser?consumerAccountUsed=true) it tells me you need a google work account to log in. So I add my account (the one I have set up for IT Admins) and click login. It just redirects me back to the page I linked above. 

#6 BamaMedic

BamaMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

And if you go here https://support.google.com/a/answer/6375836?hl=en it tells you that a Google for Work account is a PAID account. :/

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

I think I looked at the website wrong, Google Apps for Work is $5 a month per user. Though when I try and make an account for Google Chrome for Work, (https://admin.google.com/accountchooser?consumerAccountUsed=true) it tells me you need a google work account to log in. So I add my account (the one I have set up for IT Admins) and click login. It just redirects me back to the page I linked above.

Google Apps is different it gives you access to all google applications depending on the subscription.

And if you go here https://support.google.com/a/answer/6375836?hl=en it tells you that a Google for Work account is a PAID account. :/

A google Work account isn't needed to install the program and use the GPO's only for the Advanced Features associated with google apps when you want to control every user account including when using any other machine.

___
Rui

#8 BamaMedic

BamaMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Google Apps is different it gives you access to all google applications depending on the subscription.

A google Work account isn't needed to install the program and use the GPO's only for the Advanced Features associated with google apps when you want to control every user account including when using any other machine.

I see! Looks like I am misunderstanding the website. Is there a dashboard then for controlling extensions and such for my users? And would they all need to make a google chrome account? 

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:55 PM

I see! Looks like I am misunderstanding the website. Is there a dashboard then for controlling extensions and such for my users? And would they all need to make a google chrome account?

No that is what you gain using Google Apps.

In your case you simply install this special version of Google Chrome, (this one is installed system wide and not on the user folder), then you can add windows policies that you administrate via GPO like you do for Internet Explorer.

About the extensions, google doesn't allow the deploy of the extensions on newer versions of Chrome without installing them from the play store but if I remember correctly you can create a list o extensions for automatic install.  You need to check the documentation available here: http://goo.gl/2QvOT

___
Rui

#10 BamaMedic

BamaMedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

No that is what you gain using Google Apps.

In your case you simply install this special version of Google Chrome, (this one is installed system wide and not on the user folder), then you can add windows policies that you administrate via GPO like you do for Internet Explorer.

About the extensions, google doesn't allow the deploy of the extensions on newer versions of Chrome without installing them from the play store but if I remember correctly you can create a list o extensions for automatic install.  You need to check the documentation available here: http://goo.gl/2QvOT

You're awesome, thank you. I'll take a look at it and hopefully have something deployed by the end of the day!

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,050 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

Thanks. You are welcome. :thumbup2:

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users