Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mass Mailer Worm?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Josh24

Josh24

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

hey guys,

i think i picked up this mass mailer worm/malware, whatever, through eMule....whenever i log on my computer, ccapp.exe begins to take up most of my CPU, and symantec shows tons of "scanning email" messages....i've scanned my computer for every known type of worm/malware i can find through a google search, but the emails just keep on sending.

i had to disable email scanning through norton antivirus just so i could write this post

PLEASE HELP! i dont know whats going on....if anyone has any ideas please let me know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

HI Josh24, Welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

try following the the BC instructions found at this link.

This is an undesirable program
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:40 PM

To begin with, have you tried scanning with Symantec in safe mode? If you don't know how, here's a simple walk through:

Reboot your computer
When you hear your computer beep (it might be very faint) during it's booting stage (while the screen is black or displaying the version of Windows you have before the welcome screen), repeatedly hit the F8 key on your keyboard.
You will be taken to a black screen with a list of options, from there you can select Safe Mode Minimal and whala! You are now in safe mode.
***Note*** I think this only works for XP or 2000 so post if you have an older version of windows.

Furthermore, try scanning your computer with Ewido Anti-Spyware (Only if you're using Windows 2000 or XP):

First download ewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
  • Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need to run ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the "Update" icon then click "Start Update". The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
  • Under "Reports"
  • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
  • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close ewido anti-spyware and reboot your computer into Safe Mode.
  • Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
    IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan"
  • Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
  • Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side. When the scan has finished, it should automatically set the recommended action to Quarantine--if not click on Recommended Action and set it there. Click the Apply all actions button. Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
  • Close ewido.
Should scanning in safe mode with Symantec AV and Ewido fail, please post back!!
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users