To begin with, have you tried scanning with Symantec in safe mode? If you don't know how, here's a simple walk through:
Reboot your computer
When you hear your computer beep (it might be very faint) during it's booting stage (while the screen is black or displaying the version of Windows you have before the welcome screen), repeatedly hit the F8 key on your keyboard.
You will be taken to a black screen with a list of options, from there you can select Safe Mode Minimal and whala! You are now in safe mode.
***Note*** I think this only works for XP or 2000 so post if you have an older version of windows.
Furthermore, try scanning your computer with Ewido Anti-Spyware (Only if you're using Windows 2000 or XP):
First download ewido anti-spyware
and save that file to your desktop.
- Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
- Once the setup is complete you will need to run ewido and update the definition files.
- On the main screen select the "Update" icon then click "Start Update". The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
- Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
- Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
- Under "Reports"
- Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
- Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
Close ewido anti-spyware and reboot your computer into Safe Mode
- Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess.
- Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan"
- Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
- Ewido will list any infections found on the left hand side. When the scan has finished, it should automatically set the recommended action to Quarantine--if not click on Recommended Action and set it there. Click the Apply all actions button. Ewido will display "All actions have been applied" on the right hand side.
- Close ewido.
Should scanning in safe mode with Symantec AV and Ewido fail, please post back!!