Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally changed the wrong registry key - now I can't seem to change it back

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dwt290

dwt290

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hello,

I hope this is an appropriate forum for asking this. I was following method #2 of this guide ( http://www.wikihow.com/Customize-the-Size-of-the-Windows-7-Taskbar-Icons ) and I made a mistake in the registry key that it suggested. I didn't read closely enough, and rather than creating a new key called "MinWidth", I edited the "AppliedDPI" registry key (it appears to be the one selected in the screenshot). Dumb mistake that could have been avoided, but now I need to fix it.

This really messed with the sizes of text and other GUI elements (the minimize, restore down, and close icons in the upper right portion of windows are HUGE), and changing it back to the default value (96) does not do anything. I didn't change any other registry settings. Is there some way to fix this that I am not realizing? The computer is practically unusable now unless I change to a different user.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

[Earlier, was suggesting trying Windows CLassic theme as a test.]

After you changed the registry back, you did already try a shutdown & coldpost/boot, correct?  I found out that some change-backs take hold after a shutdown & re-power-up.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 May 2016 - 01:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

You should be able to tap F8 at boot and under the Advanced Boot Options select Use Last Known Good Configuration. If that does not work then do a System Restore to a date just before the change. Any files you places on the desktop after the System Restore Date will be gone so move those to your Documents folder.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

I forgot to ask earlier:  what did you use to make registry change[s]?  Sometimes, such utilities will make a backup of the original registry key.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

JohnC, thanks for that reminder!  That last known good configuration should be enough, else SRP time.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Open the Advanced Boot Options (this is where Safe Mode is found) and select Last Known Good Configuration.

Last Known Good Configuration loads the drivers and registry data that worked the last time you successfully started and then shut down Windows 7.

Looks like JohnC_21 and I posted the same.

Edited by dc3, 25 May 2016 - 01:10 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dwt290

dwt290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. Holding "F8" at boot does not bring me to the advanced boot options menu that would enable me to boot to the last known good configuration, which in itself may be a separate issue.

Is there a different way to get to that? Although I wonder if that would even work, given the fact that I rebooted the computer several times since then.

I just used "regedit" to edit the registry key. I'm not sure what "coldpost" means - can you elaborate on that?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hello,...I'm not sure what "coldpost" means - can you elaborate on that?

It means Shutdown, powering off.  Then pushing the Power button on.  But, hey, follow the advice of the others, you'll be fine.  JohnC & dc3 are correct about F8/Last known good configuration.  Try this:  Shutdown, power off. As soon as you push the power button for ON, while keeping your finger right above F8 key, listen carefully for a single beep -- as soon as you hear that one beep, F8 gently over and over until you are put into the advanced boot options.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 May 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Start the computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key and continue to until the Advanced Boot Options or Windows will boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dwt290

dwt290
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

Well, I get the same result with that - it just loads to the Windows screen. I'm able to use F12 and F2 to get to boot menu and boot settings, but F8 does nothing.

But seeing as I've successfully rebooted a number of times, I'm guessing that the last good configuration will be after I made the registry change. And of course, there is no system restore point (there is a CrashPlan data backup running, but it's only backing up files, not the OS - quite the comedy of errors here). Luckily, the change that really made the computer unusable was only applied to one user account (which is never used). I also had mistakenly changed that AppliedDPI registry key setting on the main user account, but it's not so bad on that account - it just is preventing me from changing the screen resolution away from 1600x900 (which is the preferred setting). I am still afraid to change it back for fear of messing it up completely like I did the other account, so I guess I will just leave it and try to decide if I want to do a re-image or not.

While there are certainly some unanswered questions here (Why is the registry key not changing in a predictable way? Why can't I get to Advanced Boot Options? How come, after I changed this registry key, the "Personal Folder" icon in the start menu now says "UNLISTED" rather than the name of the user?), I am inclined to chalk this one up as a loss and as a reminder to set a system restore point. I do appreciate the help, although it seems not to be in the cards that this will get resolved other than through a complete re-installation of Windows.

Edited by dwt290, 25 May 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Before you reinstall everything, could you try one more thing?  Control Panel, Personalization -- Windows Classic theme inside of that size-corrupted user account?  And, don't give up on JohnC and dc3's F8/last known good configuration idea.  They've helped many many people, eventually they will get you up and running.   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 25 May 2016 - 02:34 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

But seeing as I've successfully rebooted a number of times, I'm guessing that the last good configuration will be after I made the registry change.

If the registry edit is not recognized as a bad configuration it would not work.

Tip of the day: In the future, BACK UP THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING CHANGES TO IT. A back up will allow you to restore to the previous state is something goes wrong.

I have no knowledge of trusted programs you can use to back it up-others can give you some suggestions.

Give this a read, it might help you get to LKGC which is worth a try
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ss/last-known-good-configuration-windows-7.htm

To bolster the point that it might not work, from that page

all you're doing is rewinding driver and registry settings to those that worked the last time Windows 7 was shut down properly.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 May 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

"...I have no knowledge of trusted programs you can use to back it up-others can give you some suggestions..."

tweaking.com's Registry Backup is a very good one!  Free too.  It can use VSS or alternate path.  I think BC downloads also has it.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

Note:  Stay clear of registry editing/compressing/fixing tools, they often cause more grief than joy.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

One more thing to try to reach the Advanced Boot Options.

Start the computer and tap on the F12 key.

This will produce a black screen with white lettering which eventually will state Network not found.  When you see this press the Esc key and the F8 key.

The option for Last Known Good Configuration will be down below the Safe Mode options.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

...Start the computer and tap on the F12 key...

dc3, on some but not all computers F12 brings up the boot device menu; is that what you meant?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users