Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers Arent Working And Internet Is Messing Up (sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shortyman

shortyman

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

I am having some problems. I cant get my speakers to work. They are just plug and play speakers. I have tried everything i know to get it to work. My internet is doing weird things also. I click on a link and it will be fast, then i will click again on something else and it will take like a minute to load. what causes this? I am receiving my internet via wireless receiver from my parents dsl modem. Before i upgraded my harddrive i never had any of these problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dsnub

dsnub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

These are sometimes the hardest things to diagnose (when they only happen off and on). have you checked all the obvious things? Proper connections, etc? If so, have you tried them on another computer to make sure they work at all?

Regarding the wireless that's even trickier since load times can be a resutl of on tons of internal (ie the connecitons/hardware/traffic in your house) or external (connections/hardware/traffic outside of your house) factors.

However, once I had a similar problem where I was sure that the router had started getting flaky on me and it turned out that my wife had plugged in the wrong size power adapter. It still worked, but only off and on. If you're sure there's a change in your load times you might keep an eye out for weird things like that.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Your internet connectivity problem and sound problem have to be two seperate problems.

Try rebooting everything - pull the power cord on the cable/dsl modem, undo the cable, disconnect the router and unplug it
shutdown the computer

Wait at least one minute (sometimes shorting the incoming cable wire to its grounding shield eliminates a static charge that may have built up in the cable)

Reconnect everything and power the modem back on, then the router, then boot your computer.

There are a lot of variables that affect connection speed.
How many other users are online on the dsl provider's equipment (not just in your house)
Internet congestion
How many people are trying to access the particular site

As far as the sound problem:
First - test the speakers on your parent's computer
If they work - look at your task bar near the clock. Do you see a speaker icon?

Double click on it. When the control screen comes up, make sure there is no check in "Muted" and the volume is up.

If that didn't resolve the problem:
Open your device manager
(click on "System" in the control panel - then click the "Hardware" tab
then click the "Device Manager" button)

Open the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" section

Do you see a yellow or red warning icon there?
Do you see your audio adapter listed (something like AC'97 although it may be different)

#4 Creeperb0y

Creeperb0y

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

nah was just explaining why im fixing my sound when my other computer is down xD

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:34 AM

Well, did any of the above work?

#6 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

My internet is working fine now. I didnt mess with it at all. Like u said, i think that it was external factors like congestion, etc... and there was a really bad lightning storm the same evening that i posted it. I also downloaded and installed Google web accelerator and that seems to help a litte (it says i have saved 4.4 minutes so far.) And my speakers still arent working. I tested them on my parents comp and they work fine. There is no speaker icon in the toolbar so i went to the control panel and tried to open it by that, and that didnt work. When i go to that and click it, it says no audio devices plugged in, and i cant adjust it or anything. And it is definitely not on mute.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:31 AM

It sounds like you need to reload the driver for the sound device.
If it has a seperate sound card reinstall it.
If it is onboard it has to be reloaded.

What is the brand and model of computer?

#8 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

it is inboard and the speakers didnt come with a driver (or maybe i lost it). they were just cheap 10 dollar speakers from walmart, they are just plug'n'play. the computer is hand built and is not a name brand like dell or whatever.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

The software wouldn't be for your speakers but for your audio device, whether it's onboard the motherboard or a seperate sound card.

If the audio device were working you should see a speaker icon near the clock.

If you have the cd that came with the motherboard and the sound adapter is onboard it should be on the cd that came with the motherboard or you should be able to get it from the motherboard manufacturer's support site.

#10 shortyman

shortyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

alright thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users