OS: Windows 10
Comp: dell latitude e6410
Virus scanner: AVG internet security business edition
Downloaded windows repair 3.8.7 in an attempt to fix my broken dvd drive as is states that it can as one of its many features. Ran the program using all the possible repairs it could do just for the hell of it and also enable all system tweaks it offers after its finished. Doesn't fix my dvd drive at all but does appear to make system run a tad bit smoother.
Downloaded "iobit" advanced system care 9.3.0 to replace my 188.8.131.52 version. Had it run a system check and corrected all of it's found errors and also enabled the new system tweaks that were not present in the last version. Turned off my computer and went to sleep.
Woke up and turned on computer and my comp had literally gone to s***.
1. Intial load of computer still works fine (turning on power and loading to password entry) . Secondary load (from password to actually using the computer) now takes around 14+ mins (orginally 3 minutes at worst). Takes around the same time to fully shutdown and power off also.
2. Windows key on screen/keyboard no longer work. Search the web and windows (integrated search bar next to windows button on screen) no longer works. Sound no longer works. Everything else seems to work fine.
3. I have a system restore for 5/22/16 but run into this issue : A volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information (0x80042302)
4. Antivirus firewall can't activate due to corrupt configuration. Resetting my settings to default is the only option to fix this but does not fix the issue. Windows innate firewall still seems to function fine and is being used as a substitute
5. Windows repair 3.8.7 no longer appears to work. All of its "repairs" appear to be based around running commands in command prompt and I've surmmized from this experince that it may be disabled or not functioning correctly.
My first attempt to fix this issue was to uninstall advanced system care and windows repair but that didn't help. I then tried to follow a guide to fix the system restore issue but that didn't produce any results. I've currently downloaded a program called FRST64 as I read it was a replacement for combofix and will give that a try. As a last resort I've decided to post here before doing a fresh install of windows 10 which I seriously want to avoid (the idea of losing all my games/porn/music is heartbreaking).
If anyone can offer advice or needs additional info please let me know. Besides that ghastly load/shutdown time I can still use my comp for essential business but I will most likely bite the bullet and do a full restore at the end of the week if there's no other way to fix this BS. Thanks for your time!
Edited by boopme, 25 May 2016 - 09:09 AM.