Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Access Broken and VPN

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brokennet

brokennet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

I noticed today that I can't connect to any websites if I enable the VPN option in Opera browser. If I connect directly to the Internet, there are no issues with surfing the Internet. I also can't connect to any other VPN.

I tried to troubleshoot the issues but ended up breaking my own Internet access.

1. I installed Windows and Opera on a VM and tried enabling VPN in Opera. There are no issues if I surf from the VM. I also installed other VPN software on the VM and connecting to them. No issues as well.

2. Googled around and tried various solutions. No joy.

3. Windows Diagnostics (whereby you right click on the network icon and select Troubleshoot problems) said there were DNS is not responding. I then set Google's DNS settings in Windows, still no joy.

4. Reset winsock (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357), restarted computer - no more Internet access.

5. Tethered my phone's connection to the computer - Internet works, but same issue remains: I still can't surf the Internet if I enable the VPN option in Opera. I can't connect to any VPN connections either. But it works very well in VM.

To summarize, I have two issues to be fixed:

1. A broken Internet access from resetting winsock

2. Resolve the lack of connectivity issue if VPN is enabled in Opera/connecting to VPN

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Apparently the vpn service is still in development

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/

Lets start with a post of a ipconfig /all from a command prompt for review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users