Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.5 MM headphone jack physically broke

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vargint

vargint

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

while having a cable plugged into my headphone jack on my notebook, the notebook fell.  It wasn't from great height, so there wasn't any real damage, but there was physical damage to the plug itself.

the plastic ring on the outside broke off, as well as the part that would hold the jack in place inside.  At first, it would still play, but I had to wiggle it a bit.  After i removed all the broken pieces the jack is too lose inside to play at all.  I no longer have any of the broken pieces, this was some time ago.

I was wondering if there was any way to Mcgyver it back fixed.  Anyone have any ideas? 

I will take a picture in the next day or 2, i need to dust off the fan inside anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

The broken part may be just the audio jack - in which case you may be able to find a suitable part at an electronic components shop. Or it may be the PCB that the jack is soldered to - which may be the notebook motherboard or possibly a smaller board. You really won't know what is broken & what is required to repair it until you have dismantled the machine & inspected the damage - but you may need a replacement motherboard which might not be a financially viable repair.

If the notebook is otherwise working OK, and it has Bluetooth, you might want to consider using Bluetooth headphones, or using your existing headphones plugged into a Bluetooth audio receiver & get around the problem that way.

Edited by rqt, 25 May 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#3 goobergay

goobergay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

Search ebay for your laptops model and headphone jack.

If you are lucky the jack is on a separate board connected to the motherboard via some ribbon cable, in that case you can replace it and the part should show up in ebay searches.  If its part of the motherboard, then you are kind of out of luck for a perfect fix.

If it works well enough and just needs to be secured, go to the hardware store or department store, and get a stick of epoxy putty from the glue section, its a two part play dough type moldable "glue", any type will do.  Just wear gloves while mixing the two parts together and then use it to fill in the missing area and secure the jack, you can sand and paint it if you are really hard core about it, its very strong and useful stuff.

If you don't move your laptop much, also consider getting a usb soundcard, many of the more decent ones will have better sound quality than your on board sound.  I use a creative omni, but it costs a bit more and isn't portable, but it can drive nicer headphones.

If you want to go full out, you can even buy replacement chassis for most laptops on ebay, generally pulled from scrapped units, as always, instructions on how to take a laptop apart are on youtube.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

What is the make and model of this notebook?  Please post the complete model information.

Is this the female audio jack installed in the notebook?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

Ditto, what is the make and model of the notebook?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users