Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working USB drive unrecognizable after update

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 HobbesD

HobbesD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:29 PM

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 7720 Laptop with Windows 10

My problem is this: Yesterday my computer installed an automatic Windows update. That night when I went to plug in my iPod Touch, none of the USB ports recognized the device. It didn't show in My Computer, didn't charge, nothing. Finally, after over an hour of research, I updated the drivers and was able to get it working.

Today, I tried to use a simple Lexar 16GB USB 3.0 thumb drive. It's a drive I've used many times before on this computer and others. When I plugged it in, the computer will not recognize it, in that it doesn't show up on My Computer. I plugged the drive into all my laptop's USB ports, it still didn't work. So then I plugged it into someone else's computer and it worked fine. I reformatted it on their computer, but it still didn't work on my laptop. Then I tried plugging other smaller usb thumb drives into my problem laptop, and it recognized them.

When I went to the device manager menu, I noticed that there it had a listing for the Lexar thumb drive when it was plugged in, so at least part of my computer can see it. When I right clicked on it and tried to update the drivers, it said they were up to date.

I tried to do a System Restore to before the Windows Update, only to find out that Windows 10 has System Restore turned off by default, and so I had no restore points.

My main PC is currently broken (I have another thread about that ordeal in fact), so this is extremely frustrating for me, in that I need to use this, my one large USB drive, to try and fix the other computer. What can I do? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HobbesD

HobbesD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:53 AM

Update: I was able to find a way to rename the drive in Disk Management and it appears to work now. I have no idea why it stopped assigning a letter to the drive after all these months, and why it stopped showed up in My Computer, but since I changed it, it seems to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users