Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Anniversary Update coming this summer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:26 PM

Supposedly this update is due out this summer.  It will require MORE MEMORY.  Those with older computers may need to get an upgrade.  Oh good grief.  I thought this stuff was supposed to be over with Win10.  Will this be like upgrading from Win8-8.1?  Oh I sure hope not.  That was an absolute nightmare. This may just be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  :nono:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

Supposedly this update is due out this summer.  It will require MORE MEMORY.  Those with older computers may need to get an upgrade.  Oh good grief.  I thought this stuff was supposed to be over with Win10.  Will this be like upgrading from Win8-8.1?  Oh I sure hope not.  That was an absolute nightmare. This may just be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  :nono:

Unless you have truly ancient equipment it's highly unlikely that you don't have 2GB of RAM already.

If you actually don't have 2GB of RAM it truly might be time to upgrade your equipment, one way or another.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

I have the memory.  I am letting those who have older machines know it may be an issue.  I did have a brand new Win8 that had a terrible issue with the 8.1 update though.  I don't want to repeat that with Win10.  If it is as bad as before, that will be it for me. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

It will require MORE MEMORY.

Actually, Windows 10 32-bit will still run with 1GB of RAM, it's just that with 2GB, the system will perform better (which is true). The 1GB of RAM for 32-bit version of Windows stopped making sense when Windows 7 came out, so if you ask me, it was about time for Microsoft to raise it and set a new standard. Did you ever try to use a laptop with an Intel Celeron CPU and 1GB of RAM? It's almost unusable, so stupid.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

I am endlessly amazed that people cry foul when memory requirements increase over time.  My smartphone has more on-board memory than my early computers did.  

Computers have a finite usable lifespan.  If you're still trying to use a computer for modern OSes that dates from the early Windows period (and whether or not you're using Windows as the OS) you should expect trouble, period.  It's not some plot by Microsoft, or anyone else, it's a reflection of the fact that computers have become more and more capable of doing more and more things, and they require more memory to do those things, particularly if they're doing them all at the same time.

This comment is coming from someone who has never been a "bleeding edge" adopter nor who has ever bought hardware with "all the bells and whistles" (including greatly expanded memory) since it's not necessary for the things I do.

The HP 15 series laptop that I have, which is part of their inexpensive line, came with 4GB from the factory.  

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

They may cry foul if they were happy with their Win7 machine, and they were in a forced upgrade to Win10.  Then they find out that they may have to do an upgrade too?  Not everyone has the money to just go get a new computer, or pay someone to upgrade their current computer.  Maybe they don't want Win10, for whatever reason. 

Personally the hardware upgrade is the least of my concern for the upcoming update.  I bought a new computer a few months ago.  I thought, not to worry...we won't have to do another .1 upgrade like the screw up before.  (Win8-8.1)  Reading the news of the Anniversary Edition was like getting a pail of ice water thrown over my head. 

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

Then they find out that they may have to do an upgrade too?

Read my last post. They don't have to upgrade to 2GB of RAM.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/windows-hardware-specs-going-up-for-the-first-time-since-2009/

These hardware demands are only particularly relevant for system builders; they'll need to meet the new specs for machines that ship with Windows 10 preinstalled. Windows will still install and run on machines with less than 2GB; it'll just run better on systems with more memory.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

Oh I read it.  There are those with 64 bit too.  I'm just putting the data out there for those who mainly were forced into Win10.  This was most likely my very last Windows computer.  I had the pang of regret as soon as I read the story of the anniversary update.  Had I known that earlier, I wouldn't be dreading the next update right now.  That is for sure.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

There are those with 64 bit too.

The RAM requirement for Windows 10 64-bit wasn't changed.

unite_blue.png

#10 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Well I found this.

<<<As with the requirements for Windows 7 and later, the software also requires a processor running at a speed of at least 1GHz; a graphics system supporting Microsoft's DirectX 9 interface; and 16GB of spare storage for the 32-bit version and 20GB free for the 64-bit version.>>>

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-annivesary-update-demands-at-least-2gb-memory/

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

These are the same as the original for Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/system-requirements

Only the RAM (1 to 2GB) changed for Windows 10 32-bit, that's it.

unite_blue.png

#12 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Well that will be some good news for people with older computers then.  I won't breath a sigh of relief until the anniversary update is done, and I know that my computer is running the way it is now.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,602 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

The hardware requirement change is mostly for the manufacturers. Users don't have anything to worry about/do. If anything, it's been said for years that 1GB of RAM isn't enough for Windows. We aren't talking about a lightweight Linux distribution here.

unite_blue.png

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

It would be nice if kelkay could focus on issues within their own scope.

The memory requirements, as has now been thrashed to death, have effectively not changed, though I doubt anyone running a 32-bit Windows 7 or later for any period of time has stayed with 1GB of memory even if that's what they started out with.

The current Microsoft approach to the upgrading dialog is, to put it mildly, sketchy.  I find the lack of the link about declining or rescheduling the upgrade being in lettering at least as large, if not larger, than the text above it to be a loathsome practice that they know will cause many a flustered end user to ignore and click the exit button, believing that this means "do nothing" when it does not.

These two things are connected only insofar as Microsoft is involved.  And given the size of Microsoft and the differences in "the hardware folks" and "the software folks" that connection is tenuous, at best.

#15 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

I didn't know about this anniversary update until yesterday.  I bet a lot of people haven't heard of it yet either.  I think it is good to be informed about changes that are in the works.  Maybe for people who are quite efficient at computers, it isn't a big deal.  For a lot of people though, I think it is something that they want to know about, and prepare for. 

As far as issues within my own "scope", when I first read about this, I thought, on no, not again.  Had I not had such a nightmare issue with a new computer going from Win8 to 8.1, which was a forced upgrade for me, I probably wouldn't be so worked up over this.  I've never had an upgrade to go so poorly.  It may perturb some people to read that.  That is not my reason for posting this thread.  I want people to be able to know, and prepare, if need be.  That is all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users