Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSI Secunia, MBAM, Firefox/Trend Micro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mrk2474

mrk2474

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

(First let me say if this needs moved somewhere else please go ahead as you see fit.)

I have a few questions that I'm not sure of the answers to:

1. I used to use PSI Secunia but it stopped working. Can someone lead me in the way of something to replace it?

2. With my last update of Trend Micro Internet Security it said something to the affect of running that and MBAM at the same time would cause issues and I was forced to delete MBAM. Should I just reinstall it and see if it causes any problems?

3. I'm not sure if Firefox just put or something but out of nowhere I got a warning saying it wanted to disable my "BEP Extension" add-on because of stability/security issues. Should I go about with it or ignore it? (pic included)http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/mrk74/ff.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hello mrk2474:

1. I used to use PSI Secunia but it stopped working. Can someone lead me in the way of something to replace it?

We do not know what "stopped working" means. It has not been specified the exact version number that is installed. The loss of this useful & currently viable client application may be endemic of system problems. What remediation steps have been taken so far?  May the version of the Windows system be known?

2. With my last update of Trend Micro Internet Security it said something to the affect of running that and MBAM at the same time would cause issues and I was forced to delete MBAM. Should I just reinstall it and see if it causes any problems?

Mutual exclusions/exceptions can be entered in both products to allow use of what has been paid for. It would be helpful to know the version numbers of both products.  https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/MalwareExclusions.html and https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/internet-security-10/1059964.aspx

3. I'm not sure if Firefox just put or something but out of nowhere I got a warning saying it wanted to disable my "BEP Extension" add-on because of stability/security issues. Should I go about with it or ignore it?

As an unknown version number of the Trend Micro product, and an unknown version number of Mozilla's Firefox is in question, the Trend Micro extension should likely be removed from the Firefox browser for browsing safety and replaced with a compatible one of your liking.

Cheers.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

I had PSI version 2. It stopped scanning so I upgraded to version 3. The tray icon stays gray and it stays on scanning without changing on both versions.

Windows Version 7 SP1

Trend Micro Internet Security Version 10.0.1265  As far as MBAM I don't know what version but it was the latest at the time. It's been a couple months.

Firefox 46.0.1

#4 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hello mrk2474:

I had PSI version 2. It stopped scanning so I upgraded to version 3. The tray icon stays gray and it stays on scanning without changing on both versions. Windows Version 7 SP1

"version 3" is still rather vague. I believe you should start with a complete uninstall of Secunia PSI should be undertaken followed by a clean install.  http://secunia.com/PSISetup.exe

Trend Micro Internet Security Version 10.0.1265  As far as MBAM I don't know what version but it was the latest at the time. It's been a couple months.

My previous advice stands.

Firefox 46.0.1

My previous advice stands.

Cheers.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

I used to use PSI Secunia but it stopped working. Can someone lead me in the way of something to replace it?

Free Software Update Monitoring Tools:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

As far as PSI goes I downloaded it again. I haven't had it on my computer for a while. My results didn't chance though. I've included pictures to hopefully explain what I mean. The "preparing scan" never changes no matter how long you let it run. It also says, as shown in the other picture, to check my connection. That bubble goes away after a few seconds but the square stays gray. If I remember right it's supposed to turn red.  http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/mrk74/connection.jpg http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad147/mrk74/psi.jpg

#7 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hello mrk2474:

Then you may wish to verify that Secunia PSI has a good two-way connection through a "Trusted" path: https://secunia.com/support/psi/faq/.

Cheers.

Edited by 1PW, 27 May 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#8 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Hello mrk2474:

Then you may wish to verify that Secunia PSI has a good two-way connection through a "Trusted" path: https://secunia.com/support/psi/faq/.

Cheers.

Ran through it. Everything was as it was supposed to be except having it run on startup. I don't want to have it run on startup unless that could be the whole issue. But I've never changed that even when it was working.

Edited by mrk2474, 27 May 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hello mrk2474:

Can you very briefly have the system exit all installed security products, reboot, and verify Secunia PSI's operation, and then restore all security products to normal operation?

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Whatever you do with PSI, or any other such utility, do not let such automatically update anything.  Always you choose what to update.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hello mrk2474:

Can you very briefly have the system exit all installed security products, reboot, and verify Secunia PSI's operation, and then restore all security products to normal operation?

Turn OFF virus protection then reboot right?

#12 mrk2474

mrk2474
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

Whatever you do with PSI, or any other such utility, do not let such automatically update anything.  Always you choose what to update.

Exactly how I do it. :)

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hello mrk2474:

What I done in the past is temporarily disable anti-allWhatever, try whatever utility during that session, if it works then re-enable one by one til you find the clash.  1PW may be right - a few restarts might be in order.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hello mrk2474:

If an anti-virus application only is the only security application the system has - yes. If the system also has any third-party security suites, anti-spyware, anti-malware, firewall control, etc. these should be temporarily disabled so as to rule out any possible interference.

If any system modifications/changes were made to any system registry entries, MSConfig, via Autoruns, CCleaner, WinPatrol, etc., please undo those Secunia PSI based changes.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users