Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphically related repeatable laptop crash.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Illumina

Illumina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 running Windows 10 that, for about half a year, was thought to be broken.

Upon powering up it would beep 8 times signifying some mysterious display issue.

After sixteen seconds on Youtube I learned how to start the monitor test at boot, and I thought I had myself a strong, if well used, laptop.

Well now I have new problems and I imagine they instigated the previous ones.

ANY even modestly graphically intensive application (games) will run for, perhaps, a minute and then result first in multiple columns of checkerboard graphical artifacts.

Seconds later, the entire screen is covered in pinstripes.

And then the laptop restarts, often returning to the eight beep code prompting me to run the monitor test.

I was watching the temperatures in Furmark and they did not reach any significant temperatures before the crash occured.

The actual components present in this laptop are as follows.

Windows 10 Home 64Bit

Intel Core i5 @2.67GHZ

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

4095MB RAM

Before I am told, I am aware that this videocard is not actually supported in Windows 10, but this problem did not creep up for multiple months and is not present in everyday browsing, including posting this.

I have tried the drivers windows automatically downloads and two different legacy packages from AMD and I have installed them both from their executables and from the device manager.

I have photographs of the actual crash if they can help.

I know this laptop is a little old now, but it plays the games I want to play when it is working and I really want to make it behave.

Edited by Illumina, 24 May 2016 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users