Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving a Vlan from one Public IP to another Public IP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kimario

Kimario

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hey Guys I'm currently in need of assistance as to figure out the best way to move a vlan connection. We currently have 2 separate public IP's in our district and I need to move a vlan from the old one to the new one.  Location A currently has Vlan45 on it and I need to move it to Location B I'm working with a Sonicwall 2400 in both locations. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I need to request a new uplink to Location B so that I can configure Vlan 45 from there or is it a way within the Sonicwall at Location A to route the traffic for Vlan 45 to Location B and if so does that require a uplink from Location A to B? 

My apologies if this sound rather confusing I'm kinda new at this position. Let me know if you need more information and Thanks for any help you guys can provide! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

If I read you right you only need to change the ip address on the wan interface of the sonicwall.  No vlan changes required.

#3 Kimario

Kimario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

If I read you right you only need to change the ip address on the wan interface of the sonicwall.  No vlan changes required.

Well we are still keeping the public ip in Location A  and there are other vlans connected here. I'm just trying to move one of those vlans to Location B so that it's separate from Loc A. So I'm thinking I may need to request a new drop at Loc B to service vlan45 but I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.  

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Are you sure we are talking vlan's and not vpn's?

Normally you don't "move" vlans.  You just create them in the new sites switch.

How are locations A and B connected now?

Why do you think you need a new drop [? lan connection? internet connection?] for a vlan?

#5 Kimario

Kimario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

Are you sure we are talking vlan's and not vpn's?

Normally you don't "move" vlans.  You just create them in the new sites switch.

How are locations A and B connected now?

Why do you think you need a new drop [? lan connection? internet connection?] for a vlan?

Well I'm realizing now that what I really need to move is the point to point connection from Location A to B and then create the new vlan at the site as you said. So I would need to request a new drop at Location B and then configure it. Is that about right? 

Thanks again for your help! 

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

You keep asking the same question of bringing in a new connection.  Love to answer that question but you provide no information for which to do so.

Some how you have tied a public wan to an internal vlan.  You haven't given any reason for this relationship.

If you want to route vlans between sites I would suggest you implement a MPLS network and not point to points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users