Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Registry entry

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RichardH23

RichardH23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

Hi, I hope you can help.  I sometimes run EMIsoft Energency Kit as a backup scanner (I have Norton as the main antivirus) and for the last couple of months it has been finding a registry entry which it identifies as "No risk" but is still picking up on.  Each time I quarantine it, but it shows again on the next scan.  The other day I ran Malwarebytes Junkware removal tool, which finds the same registry entry, which I remove, and it comes back.  I've scanned with Malwarebytes, Norton, Adwcleaner, and these have found nothing. 

Is this entry a problem?  Do you have any ideas what it might be?  The entry is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{AFBCB7E0-F91A-4951-9F31-58FEE57A25C4}

I am running Windows 10 and using IE 11.

The computer itself is running fine, although IE crashes from time to time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

I googled SearchScopes...it's annoying but not dangerous.  Download and run AdwCleaner; find the SearchScope item[s] and delete those.  I recommend not deleting everything else it finds 'cause not everything else it find - is bad; if you recognize some thing[s] you do not want - delete that of course.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RichardH23

RichardH23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hi, thanks for replying.  I just ran AdwCleaner and it still couldn't find anything. 

After AdwCleaner, I then tried the Junkware scanner: the first time it found nothing - I tried it a second time, just a minute or so later, and this time it found the same registry entry.  AdwCleaner can't seem to detect anything, and Junkware detects it, says its removed, then it comes back again.

I don't suppose you could suggest anything else?  Apart from running the different scanners, which either can't find anything wrong, or only remove it temporarily, I'm not sure what else to do.

Thanks

Richard

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

I did not vet any of the sources given by Google...

Dec 21, 2014 - SearchScopes extension is an adware that infiltrate the computer by means of third-party ... [malwarefixes.com]

https://www.google.com/search?q=SearchScopes+removal&oq=SearchScopes+removal&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.14495j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In the past, I've gotten rid of Conduit and other related unwanted adwares, via a combination of locating the involved files and surgically-precise usage of [un-named, BC doesn't approve of registry-editors].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 RichardH23

RichardH23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for trying.  I don't want to mess around with the registry myself, as I don't really know what I am doing with it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users