Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 no start menu how to restore?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bdpoop

bdpoop

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:27 AM

I am remotely connected to a clients Windows 10 PC

It upgraded to 10 over the weekend and apparently the start menu was working until yesterday

Now you cannot click on start and there are no items in the task bar or system tray.  If you go into task manager there are various programs running like avast etc.

The client just wants it restoring to Windows 7 but how?

I can get into Control panel via Windows R keys but I think I need to to be in Windows Settings and updates via the start menu to recover the W7 OS.  I Cannot see any options to restore in control panel.

I have tried the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} fix using Powershell which hasnt worked and I have tried running sfc/ scannow which finds some corruption and finally I have tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which seems to be stuck at 20%

I have also tried to create a new user account but I just get the error "Class not recognised"

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Is there anyway it can be rolled back to Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

It finished and came back with this error

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.
An error occurred closing a servicing component in the image.
Wait a few minutes and try running the command again.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

At work when we get the Start Menu error it's usually the result of an infection.

We then remove the infections (outside of Windows) and then create a new user account.

If that fails, then it's a backup, wipe the hard drive, and then install Windows "clean"

You may be able to roll back to W7 - go to Settings...Update & Security...Recovery...Advanced Startup

When the system restarts, you'll click on the Troubleshoot tile, then on the Advanced Options tile, then click on the "See more recovery options" link and that should lead you to the Go Back To The Previous Build screen

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

You can open the Settings by pressing Windows + I keys.

Posted Image

#5 bdpoop

bdpoop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

You can open the Settings by pressing Windows + I keys.

Thanks.  I really couldnt get anything to work.  Couldnt bring up any menus or anything.  I did a malware scan and removed 380 pieces of malware, restarted and still the same.  In the end I disable the anti virus (Avast) and took just about everything apart from Logmein (Which I was using for remote access) out of the start up and restarted and THEN I could get into the Windows 10 start button, settings etc.  Luckily I could create shortcuts for antimalware, restart etc.

I could then roll it back to Windows 7.  Did a further malware scan and found 40 pieces this time.  It all seems fine now but its cost the client 4 hours of my time.

Ive seen a few Windows 10 failures but none quite as bad as this one.  Sadly its hard to tell where and why it went so wrong.

Appreciate the help, thanks

Edited by bdpoop, 24 May 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Issue could be cause by malware infection it can also be cause by Avast Antivirus software disabling will not resolve the issue next time you should uninstall the antivirus software.

Posted Image

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

@ themaninthejar and Freebooter

the topic started by themaninthejar, riding on this one has been split off to its own topic. You will find it here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/615377/delayed-responses-in-win-10/

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users