Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Add To My Network Places Directory?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanPatrick

DanPatrick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Sorry, I'm a newbie and I think I posted this in the wrong place before... Dang!

How do I create or add icons to point to other folders, drives, etc. in My Network Places? There are several computers on my network and on them, specific specific drives and specific folders that I use frequently. I'd like them to show up on all the computers, but I don't know how to create them?

A second, related question, can I safely delete icons for drives or folders that appear there that I don't use?

Thanks very much for any help.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

can I safely delete icons for drives or folders that appear there that I don't use?

Yes.

To share a folder, go to the computer that has the folder you want to share, navigate to the folder, right click on it, choose Sharing and Security. Select the Sharing tab (if it exists), select Share this Folder. You will have the oportunity to change the name of this folder for the network if you wish to.

That's about it.

Give it a minute or so, go back to your own computer and now see the shared folder in My Network Places.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

What shows up in "My Network Places" on your computer are drives in another computer to which you are networked and have those drives shared.

#4 DanPatrick

DanPatrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, I understand that, however, there are some that don't show up on the other computers, though they are "shared." That's why I want to know how to add them.
Dan

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:06 AM

The other computers have to be networked too.

XP SP2 has a networking wizard in the control panel to accomplish this.

Run it on each computer you wish to be able to access drives in the other computers in the network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users