Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ten compatibility issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peterracine

peterracine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

I have found that Windows 10 has compatibility issues with Bowers and Wilkins MM-1 speakers. Most of the issues are poor sound quality. Could it be an issue with the device driver? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If I am in the wrong topic could someone refer me to the correct one? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

I'd suggest also posting over in these forums:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/138/external-hardware/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/65/audio-and-video/

There may also be replies here, so I'd keep this topic open also.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to do with sound issues.

How do these speakers connect to your system?

If they connect by wire, it's not likely that they are incompatible - as the standard output for audio has remained the same for a long, long time (but remember, I don't have much to do with sound issues).

IMO, that leaves you with 4 possibilities:

- bad MM-1 speakers

- bad cabling

- bad audio jack

- bad sound functions on the computer (this can be a hardware or software problem).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

Hi peterracine,

Wow, that's some speakers, seeing as they are usb driven with their own DAC and only steam audio, which it decodes its self(from my understanding?)

The only thing that springs to mind at the moment, is to download and reinstall the firmware from here (if you have not already done so)

http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/home/p/29,30

Best of luck, keep us informed

Hedge

#4 peterracine

peterracine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am still experiencing problems using these speakers but, only on a Windows 10 machine. They play fine (via usb) through both a Linux machine (Zorin) and a Windows 7 machine. If I find the issue I'll let you know.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

I have seen those speakers before and they are OS agnostic. If I were you I would definitely start looking at the hardware side of this.

I use this little USB DAC http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=HDDAC1 and it also is OS agnostic, so I am thinking that you might be having some kind of compatibility issues that might not be software related. When you go into your control panel <hardware and sound> settings, do you see your speakers listed by name?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Does speakers have driver you can install the latest device driver for the speakers.

Updated MM-1 software may from time to time be
made available. Updated software will be posted in the
MM-1 support section of the Bowers and Wilkins web
site. With the software file downloaded to your PC/
Mac, update your MM-1 by following the steps below:
• Disconnect the MM-1 from its power supply.
• If it is not already connected, connect the MM-1 to
the PC/Mac via USB.
• Launch the software update file on the PC/Mac
• While holding down the MM-1 power switch connect
the MM-1 power cable.
• Continue to hold down the power switch for five
seconds.
The MM-1 indicator will illuminate white while the
software update is underway. Once the update
is complete the MM-1 can be returned to normal
operation by disconnecting and reconnecting the USB
or the power cable.

Note: If the MM-1 indicator does not illuminate
white during software update, this indicates that the
PC/Mac is not properly connected.

MM-1 User Manual

To update the firmware on your Bowers & Wilkins product:

No sound heard when streaming audio over USB

How do i stream audio via USB?

Open Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu search box.
From Device Manager expand Sound, video and game controllers and
Audio input and outputs does the speakers controller listed under anyone of two categories.
Are there any missing device drivers Windows will usually brand all of the unrecognized devices in Device Manager with a black exclamation point (!) on a yellow sign. Install missing device driver by following the article named How to easily find drivers for Unknown Devices in Windows

Edited by FreeBooter, 24 May 2016 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

#7 peterracine

peterracine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

I work in technical support and it is definitely a Windows 10 compatibility issue. I have about 8 people that are reporting problems with their MM-1 speakers such as poor sound quality as well as firmware update errors and they all have Windows 10. Thank you for all your responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users