Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 activation aggravation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

I downloaded Windows 10 to my Acer Aspire 5253 laptop thru the offered upgrade. Lately I have been getting a notification to activate Windows. Sometimes it appears and goes away after a while and sometimes doesn't appear at all. I have been using this copy of Windows 10 for four months and this activation request just started recently. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? The laptop is running fine so I just don't understand why this is happening. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

When you click on <settings> click on <updates and security> and click on <activation> what do you see?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10 will automatically be activated online. After you complete the free upgrade to Windows 10, it will be automatically activated online. To check activation status in Windows 10, click the Start Menu button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation. If Windows 10 isn’t activated on your device, see Get help with Windows 10 activation errors for more info.

Note

Starting with the November Windows 10 update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 product keys.

Edited by FreeBooter, 24 May 2016 - 09:28 AM.

Posted Image

#4 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

I know this sounds crazy but true. I downloaded and installed the Baidu browser just to check it out. When I started the browser a window popped up saying I needed to download Windows 10. So I sent it to a USB drive and downloaded it. I then installed this copy of Windows 10 on my Acer laptop and chose to keep all personal files and applications. After the install I no longer get an activation notice and everything runs smooth. Don't know how it all came about but it cured my issue. I can't figure out how to mark this post as solved but it is.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

I know this sounds crazy but true. I downloaded and installed the Baidu browser just to check it out. When I started the browser a window popped up saying I needed to download Windows 10. So I sent it to a USB drive and downloaded it. I then installed this copy of Windows 10 on my Acer laptop and chose to keep all personal files and applications. After the install I no longer get an activation notice and everything runs smooth. Don't know how it all came about but it cured my issue. I can't figure out how to mark this post as solved but it is.

Sounds like Windows 10 was never installed on laptop if it was you will never be prompted to install and download Windows 10 ISO image it was not the Baidu browser that prompt you to download the Windows 10 ISO image it was Get Windows 10 app. Web browsers never ask you to install newer version of operating systems as most web browser can work and install on previous version of operating systems.

Edited by FreeBooter, 24 May 2016 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image

#6 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:08 AM

Good point, FreeBooter. It was just such an amazing coincidence that the two actions happened at the same time. By the way, I am getting an activation request with this new Windows 10 install too.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Have you ever upgrade to Windows 10 sound like you have done clean install of Windows 10 only upgrade to Windows 10 does not need activation its activated automatically when Windows 10 upgraded from activated Windows OS. Qualified Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Visit Here to learn about how to upgrade qualified Windows OS devices to Windows 10.

Edited by FreeBooter, 26 May 2016 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Image

#8 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the tip, but it had no info about my situation. I think maybe I reinstalled over a legit copy of Windows 10 and Microsoft views my code as already used. Don't know where to go from here. I have done some research but haven't found anything about my situation. I am sure there are other people out there with the same problem as it, to me, seems like something that would happen quite often. Any thoughts or ideas on this to further the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi nboomdig,

You told us issue was resolved if issue not resolved can you try activating Windows 10 and give us the error code produced.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users