Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting Over and Over

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trbogt

trbogt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi..My Hp Pentium 4 also has this issue... when I restart the computer keeps rebooting over and over...I have to shut down and start back up to get to my boot menu...I have eight Windows systems on a multi boot system...I've removed seven of the systems from the boot menu using EasyBCD but still the same issue...I was thinking the Mother board could be the culprit.
I have removed the video card and one of the hard drives but still no go...nothing else to disconnect except the DVD... if it is the mother board then the machine is scrap...I don't want to lose this system to avoid Windows 'Activation' issues...all eight systems are in the same boat...
I wonder now if one of the RAM has a defect...a short memory scan did not report any errors...I might try a 'Memtest'.
*john :bubbles:

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 May 2016 - 01:14 PM.
split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601221/computer-keeps-restarting-over-and-over/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

That is usually a bad PSU.  You can boot up a LiveCD of Linux (Ubuntu or Mint).   Don't install it.  Run it in RAM.  Does the same issue exist in trying to boot to it either from optical drive or flash?  Yes, then hardware. No, then boot drive or OS, drivers, startups or services.

You can also strip down to a minimal system: PSU, CPU, its associated HSF, MB, keyboard, monitor, use onboard video (GPU card only if no onboard available), no RAM, no mouse, no other peripherals, no drives. 

• Should beep its head off no RAM. 
  • Add one stick of RAM closest slot to CPU. 
  • Swap in another stick. 
  • Move stick to other or another slot.... 

Still same issues for all?  Hardware involving one of the above parts, unlikely the RAM. 

No issue except lack of a boot drive detected then problem lies with a part not yet installed. Install a part one by one.  Note:  It can still be an under powered out of spec PSU that is now capable of providing sufficient current in minimal system.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 23 May 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

You posted that you removed seven of the eight operating systems.  What operating system are you running now?

Open the Advanced Boot Options and select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure.

Rather than restarting you should get an error message, this could be in the form of a BSOD.  Post the STOP: error in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

You posted that you removed seven of the eight operating systems.  What operating system are you running now?

Open the Advanced Boot Options and select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure.

Rather than restarting you should get an error message, this could be in the form of a BSOD.  Post the STOP: error in your topic.

Hi...Thanks for your reply...I do not have 'Disable Automatic Restart' or 'System Failure' options...but I did change to 'Normal' Startup and that caused me not to get in at all and got a error screen ...the Restart was still there...I used a Repair disk to get back in...

Does not matter which operating system is used as 'Default'...but now since the 'boot.ini' has been created again I will restart and if PC still keeps rebooting I will remove all hardware and re install one @ a time.*john

How do we upload images here?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

It does matter which operating system you are using if I'm going to make suggestion that are done differently in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  Obviously you are now using Windows 8.1.

You can an image as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

It does matter which operating system you are using if I'm going to make suggestion that are done differently in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  Obviously you are now using Windows 8.1.

You can an image as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Hi...so I removed both hard drives and installed my old hard drive with 'just Windows 8.1 and the restart works...so it does'nt seem to be a blame on the computer.

I put one of the newer hard drives back in and still the reboot issue is there...still does not matter which 'version' I boot from...so I have to figure out why restart does not work...I may have to format one of my drives and re-install Windows 10 build 14342...maybe it will creat a proper boot ini...however the damm thing may not reboot properly during the 'Installation'  guess I have to try it.

Have not put the second drive in as it's not the issue right now...however they 'Were' connected for my eight system booting e.g.

Each hard drive has four Windows systems

#one>{Win 8.1,XP,2x Win 10

#two>{Win 10, Win 8.1, Vista, Win 7

#one is the drive working now and is bootable from but still has the rebooting issues.

The origional screen shot with all systems I lost earlier so this one does not say anything.

*johnAttached File  ms Config Boot menu.bmp   2.25MB   1 downloads

#7 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

That is usually a bad PSU.  You can boot up a LiveCD of Linux (Ubuntu or Mint).   Don't install it.  Run it in RAM.  Does the same issue exist in trying to boot to it either from optical drive or flash?  Yes, then hardware. No, then boot drive or OS, drivers, startups or services.

You can also strip down to a minimal system: PSU, CPU, its associated HSF, MB, keyboard, monitor, use onboard video (GPU card only if no onboard available), no RAM, no mouse, no other peripherals, no drives. 

• Should beep its head off no RAM. 
  • Add one stick of RAM closest slot to CPU. 
  • Swap in another stick. 
  • Move stick to other or another slot.... 

Still same issues for all?  Hardware involving one of the above parts, unlikely the RAM. 

No issue except lack of a boot drive detected then problem lies with a part not yet installed. Install a part one by one.  Note:  It can still be an under powered out of spec PSU that is now capable of providing sufficient current in minimal system.

Hi...thanks for your reply...I did the ellimination thing and the computer restarts normally with my old origional hard drive...so I guess we can rule out the PC as the culprit.

I'm gonna' 're-install' one of my Windows systems over top first as a {inplace upgrade} and see if the Boot ini is recovered or created properly...and report back here...thanks to all for the help!

*john

#8 trbogt

trbogt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

:bounce: Hi...so Problem solved.

I am involved with the Windows 10 Insider  Forums and a new 'Build' came around again ...so I downloaded and installed it... Computer restarted once during the installation and just stalled... so I started PC back up and had to download and install the same build again....'This time it rebooted and continued and completed the Windows build 14352 installation.

Now the 'Boot.ini' has been repaired and set again...all my systems are fine now...I was hoping this would work...I was going to do my own re-install from an ISO I had just made...but the computer did not want to boot from the disk...I made the ISO again thinking it had some issue but still no boot from the disk..

Anyways it's working now so I'm happy it's not the motherboard...Thanks all for your help.

*john :rolleyes: 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

Glad to hear you resolved the problem.  Happy computing. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users