Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing desktop, right click box, and internet Apps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steakboy

Steakboy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

I have a windows 8.1, Intel Celeron CPU J1800, 4GB ram, 64-bit. Long story short: My desktop and all files there are missing, cannot open desktop folder through a file explorer. When in a file explorer when i right click it freezes and often crashes "explorer.exe" and google chrome wont open, neither will firefox. but IE will.

What i have done to solve this problem:
    Unlock hidden admin account and ran Malwarebytes. Nothing out of the ordinary came up after the scan. Ran CCleaner, cleared that out, nothing out of the ordinary. Both did not fix the problem. Opened a elevated comandprompt ran "sfc /scannow" nothing was broken, so it fixed nothing. Ran Microsoft Safety Scanner, didnt work. Did a Windows "Refresh" where it uninstalls everything back to factory applications, but leaves user created files untouched. and still nothing.
Ive got no other ideas except to reinstall windows which i dont want to do.

im pretty tech savy so please have me post logs and other txt files to help determine the problem. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore using a restore point dated prior to this problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Steakboy

Steakboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

After the system refresh, i am unable to access that menu through the settings button. it just freezes and nothing happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users