Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Updating Graphics Card on Dell Optiplex 780 SFF

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Porphos

Porphos

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hey all!
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive replacement that will be compatible with windows 10 to be used in lite-medium gaming. Any suggestions? Is this chipset integrated or dedicated?

Here are my specs:

sFYCagf.png

Thank you!  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

That is integrated GPU.

What is processor in that model? There are quite many possibilities http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf

#3 Porphos

Porphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

That is integrated GPU.

What is processor in that model? There are quite many possibilities http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf

sjRmlWQ.png

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

You can only put a very low power, low profile graphics card in an OptiPlex 780  SFF. It also needs to have a very compact heat sink otherwise interference with other parts will prevent you from fitting it. An AMD HD6450 is about it for these machines - if I recall correctly the PSU is only 235 watts, it has no power connections for a graphics card & the motherboard can only supply about 25W through the PCIe connector.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:25 PM

You can only put a very low power, low profile graphics card in an OptiPlex 780  SFF. It also needs to have a very compact heat sink otherwise interference with other parts will prevent you from fitting it. An AMD HD6450 is about it for these machines - if I recall correctly the PSU is only 235 watts, it has no power connections for a graphics card & the motherboard can only supply about 25W through the PCIe connector.

Agreed. RAdeon HD 5450 or 6450 low profile is good choice, IIRC same card with different name.

#6 Porphos

Porphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Agreed. RAdeon HD 5450 or 6450 low profile is good choice, IIRC same card with different name.

Would I have to make any upgrades to computer to be able to house an AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 Graphics card?

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

The only things you need to do to install a compatible graphics card are:-

1) Uninstall any existing graphics drivers

2) Turn off PC, remove power cord & disconnect monitor video cable

3) Remove the side cover (top cover if you have case horizontal) & fit the card, refit side cover, connect monitor to graphics card

4) Refit power cord, turn on computer & install new graphics driver if you feel the need- although Windows 10 will happily find it's own drivers for an HD6450 (you might need to encourage it to do an update to speed things up). Probably the same for an HD 5450.

Your card will need to include the low profile end brackets - otherwise you will need to purchase these separately.

The card must have a compact heat sink that fits entirely within the single slot width - such as the ASUS "0dB" cards like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-DDR3-Silent-Graphics-Card-HDMI-DVI-PCI-Express-AMD-HD3D-/152085038519?hash=item2368f985b7:g:vTsAAOSwcL5XMPD1

I believe Sapphire cards will also fit, but have seen an MSI card that had a heat sink which was much too large. I have an ASUS HD 6450 card in my OptiPlex 755 SFF.

The HD 6450 is slightly newer / more powerful / faster than the HD 5450, and is correspondingly slightly more expensive.

Edited by rqt, 23 May 2016 - 02:53 PM.

#8 Porphos

Porphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

The only things you need to do to install a compatible graphics card are:-

1) Uninstall any existing graphics drivers

2) Turn off PC, remove power cord & disconnect monitor video cable

3) Remove the side cover (top cover if you have case horizontal) & fit the card, refit side cover, connect monitor to graphics card

4) Refit power cord, turn on computer & install new graphics driver if you feel the need- although Windows 10 will happily find it's own drivers for an HD6450 (you might need to encourage it to do an update to speed things up). Probably the same for an HD 5450.

Your card will need to include the low profile end brackets - otherwise you will need to purchase these separately.

The card must have a compact heat sink that fits entirely within the single slot width - such as the ASUS "0dB" cards like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Radeon-HD-6450-1GB-DDR3-Silent-Graphics-Card-HDMI-DVI-PCI-Express-AMD-HD3D-/152085038519?hash=item2368f985b7:g:vTsAAOSwcL5XMPD1

I believe Sapphire cards will also fit, but have seen an MSI card that had a heat sink which was much too large. I have an ASUS HD 6450 card in my OptiPlex 755 SFF.

The HD 6450 is slightly newer / more powerful / faster than the HD 5450, and is correspondingly slightly more expensive.

I went looking for some cards that would work. This one look likes it would work: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=XFX-645LH2&c=fr&hash=29c5j2lKPv5cT7okZuato4TgmRpj8RZ%2F9dYqh34VB5GLHrssAYmVFgPzWZDX8oip1st1%2BKLL1Ri1Qgs9ZoOuiIeQIEwVhg1uGLg9llA4qPCkFDmg8xMZ2odVk1da&gclid=CjwKEAjw1Iq6BRDY_tK-9OjdmBESJABlzoY7BBmkCvbY4aN-l2SvyifWQSCOe08rf8DyZwv57XIMjBoCEbLw_wcB

I just need a second opinion. Thank you!

EDIT: The one you suggested looks good. I am just checking out my options.

Edited by Porphos, 23 May 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

That card looks like it should fit OK as long as it is supplied with low profile end brackets - the picture shows it with the standard full height bracket & the description does not specify that the low profile brackets are supplied

(you need 2 separate low profile brackets - i have seen one piece twin brackets where the socket arrangement would prevent you fitting the card in your machine)  

Edited by rqt, 23 May 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#10 Porphos

Porphos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

That card looks like it should fit OK as long as it is supplied with low profile end brackets - the picture shows it with the standard full height bracket & the description does not specify that the low profile brackets are supplied

(you need 2 separate low profile brackets - i have seen one piece twin brackets where the socket arrangement would prevent you fitting the card in your machine)  

Thank you for all the help! I think I have it all figured out now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users