Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Suddenly Slow To Open

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joyjg

joyjg

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

All of a sudden my internet explorer started to take 15 to 20 seconds to open. I have inadvertantly opened multiple windows since I didn't realize it was actually opening at all. The only things I have done recently are to upgrade my McAfee Security system. I did notice some trouble with the siteadvisor and uninstalled that, but the explorer still loades slowly. Once in explorer everything seems to work fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help. Joyjg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

A good place to start is to have a look at this pinned article in Bleeping Computer titled "A Checklist for Slow Computers".
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:23 AM

Thanks for the response. I did take a look at that post, but my computer is not running slowly, its just the opening of the internet explorer. In fact, once it is open it works great, and additional windows of internet explorer open quickly, so just the initial open seems to have something going on. The rest of my computer is running fine, I have spybot, spyblaster, spyguard, spysweeper and mcafee all running for protection. I have also recently run kapersky and come out clean. Anyone else have something like this happening?

#4 Kenman

Kenman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

This is happening to me and it is due to Mcafee's new version of Security Center. If you uninstall all the Mcafee junk, it will work fine.

Mcafee is NO HELP with this as they want you to pay for any technical support. I'm not happy about this at all.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

I see you are using Webroot's Spy Sweeper. Have a look at this:
"Java Takes Edge Off Of Spy Sweeper"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1912436,00.asp
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I did try the Spysweeper idea, that made no difference to the load speed on the internet explorer. However, I also did check into the McAfee suggestion and found that numerous people are having the same problem due to the newest load of McAfee. This did start after I loaded the newest McAfee security system update that they constantly bugged me by email to upgrade to. Suggestions on how to unload this can be found on the McAfee forum at

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php...ac7276e52c5d013

I have decided to wait until they come up with a solution which I assume will be fairly soon based on the amount of dialog at their forum. Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem. Joyjg :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users