Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Secure Browser And Email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CroMagnon

CroMagnon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

I don't always go online, but when I do, I like privacy. I know nothing is 100% secure, but more layers means at least a little more insulation. Now I don't know crap about computers, so I have no way of telling whether software provides any security or only undermines it. I'm hoping y'all can help me out before I get a new laptop. Currently I use Chromodo/Comodo Dragon for my browser and Gmail for my email; the prior is okay, but I hate the later. I'd like to know my options for both.

I only use Gmail for 3 reasons. 1: It's free. So any other email provider has to be free, I can't afford to be paying someone for things like that. 2: I don't always have regular internet access, most other providers delete my account after several months of inactivity, and Google hasn't yet. 3: Many sites are owned by Google and require an account with them. Those points are also in order of priority; anything I get has to be free, I'd prefer my account never be deleted for inactivity but I'll risk it, and I really don't care for most Google services anyway. All I want is something free and private, kinda like RiseUp email. Except maybe someone who will keep my inactive account for more than 3 months.

As for the browser, I'm largely satisfied with Comodo's product. Just not so much with Comodo. It does the job, but aside from being unsure if it works on Linux Lite, I also just want something....less complex. So I'd rather my browser not be bundled with my antivirus. Comodo might actually be the best browser I've used though, better than Google, Firefox, and definitely Internet Explorer. I just wanna know how it really stacks up in terms of security, weigh my options, see if there's anything better and just as free. Maybe kinda like Tor, I heard that's good. Except it isn't free.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

Other choices for something LIKE Comodo Dragon are Google Chrome, and Slimjet.  Slimjet comes as an installable edition and if you want, as a portable edition.  Both these are free but the companies will accept donations.  Another one like them is SuperBird browser but the online support just isn't there.

The big free email providers are Yahoo, AOL, Windows/Outlook/Hotmail, and GMail.  Each is slightly different but with experience, you might find a preference.  Gmail has many account settings and options to look through and choose.  Yahoo at least gives the advantage of tabs for emails you open or read.  Free Yahoo and AOL mail accounts have a time limit for account inactivity, but it is a fairly long time period -  60 or 90 days or something.  

You can check and try learning to use an email client program if you are worried about how much time you spend online working in your webmail accounts.  These programs require some time to learn to use well. 

#3 CroMagnon

CroMagnon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

Other choices for something LIKE Comodo Dragon are Google Chrome, and Slimjet.  Slimjet comes as an installable edition and if you want, as a portable edition.  Both these are free but the companies will accept donations.  Another one like them is SuperBird browser but the online support just isn't there.

The big free email providers are Yahoo, AOL, Windows/Outlook/Hotmail, and GMail.  Each is slightly different but with experience, you might find a preference.  Gmail has many account settings and options to look through and choose.  Yahoo at least gives the advantage of tabs for emails you open or read.  Free Yahoo and AOL mail accounts have a time limit for account inactivity, but it is a fairly long time period -  60 or 90 days or something.  

You can check and try learning to use an email client program if you are worried about how much time you spend online working in your webmail accounts.  These programs require some time to learn to use well. 

Screw online support. Do this SuperBird or Slimjet have any of the security/privacy features of Comodo Dragon? Google is like the opposite of private, I'd rather pull my own teeth than continue to use Google Chrome or Gmail. Tried Yahoo, AOL, and Hotmail too, hate them all for many of the same reasons. I think I'm more looking for one of the LITTLE free email providers if any are out there.

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

As for the browser, I'm largely satisfied with Comodo's product. Just not so much with Comodo. It does the job, but aside from being unsure if it works on Linux Lite, I also just want something....less complex. So I'd rather my browser not be bundled with my antivirus. Comodo might actually be the best browser I've used though, better than Google, Firefox, and definitely Internet Explorer. I just wanna know how it really stacks up in terms of security, weigh my options, see if there's anything better and just as free. Maybe kinda like Tor, I heard that's good. Except it isn't free.

Slimjet browser, or Google Chrome.  They are very similar.  Slimjet is based on Chrome.  Study the settings.  

Many people like webmail because they (those services) are easy or easy enough to use.  I commented about learning to use an email client because of your internet access limitations.   An email client will be another piece of software to learn to use.  

Probably the best free email services are the big four already mentioned.  Do an internet search and find others.  Among those you should be able to find FastMail, GMX, Lycos Mail, HushMail.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users